An indie game with an original experience/ leveling concept

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
screeg
Marshall

An indie game with an original experience/ leveling concept

Post by screeg »

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?ar ... f=0&id=111

Not every day you hear about something like that! This is by the makers of Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a publisher and backing yet, but it's in Germany which I think makes it 10 times more likely to be developed.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Very interesting and very ambitious, but I kind of imagine this is what a fantasy RPG add-on for "The Sims" would be like. Is this enough to satisfy the hard-core RPG fan base or is it too gimmicky? When your 50-year-old fighter is too debilitated to fight 20-year-old enemies, what does he do with the remainder of his life? Retire...buy some land....plant crops? :)

In all seriousness, I'd really love to see this one get made. It sounds like a fascinating idea and any RPG that wants to try and break from the "action RPG" mold has a guaranteed sale with me!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Intresting...
I'd like to try tht game
May the sky never fall on your head
lonadar
Pledge

Post by lonadar »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:When your 50-year-old fighter is too debilitated to fight 20-year-old enemies, what does he do with the remainder of his life? Retire...buy some land....plant crops?
Yes. That's all part of role-playing; at some point the adventuring ends, and the campaigning begins. There is more to the world you are in then the cavern before you.

Now, does the "game" get boring at this point? For many, yes, because your paradigm of interest has shifted drastically from those wanting to adventure into those wanting a medieval living simulation. Perhaps they are overzealous in their desire to portray your entire life, but the big picture concept (expanding the run of the character over a large campaign of multiple "adventures" rather than one single episode or series of episodes) seems sound.

I'm concerned that they will have trouble making enough original content to accomodate the myriad of possible situtions (occupations, life choices, ages, etc.) that such unrestrained characters could enter. Diablo was a valiant attempt at creating a 3D Nethack, with random mini-adventures that may or may not pop up. While this did make for some variety, after 4 or 5 runs through the game, very little was unknown any longer.