Basilisk Update 2016

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Basilisk Update 2016

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Greetings friends, old and new!

Normally I post a New Year message on the front page, but this year I decided just to post a message here to our regular visitors and dedicated fans.

2015 was a transitional year for us. Having finished Book III in 2014, we spent all of 2015 investigating new technology (playing around with VR and mobile platforms) while finishing up the design document for our next RPG. We've also helped out a few other indie developers with their projects (consultation mostly), worked on a couple contractual jobs, and we've converted our workstations over to new software (Unity & Blender) on which our next games will be built upon. We also celebrated our 10th year as a game developer with a major website redesign. It was a busy year for us, despite not having anything to really show for it (well, besides the new website).

For 2016, we plan on diving into the next RPG full speed, though we don't have a development schedule to share with you yet. When we have something worth showing off, we will. Also, in moving over to Unity, we've developed a handful of mobile-style games while learning the new software. As such, we will likely release these games to generate a bit of operation revenue for the company. These games won't be under the "Basilisk Games" label since they aren't RPGs or adventure-style games, though I'll be sure to share a link if anyone wants to check them out and help support us.

Oh yes, and I did say about a month ago that I would share some "next RPG" concept art with you. Remember, these images are concept art- not in-game screenshots, not engine shots, and not even production shots. These are images created by an artist based on location descriptions, which we'll use for inspiration while we design levels. It should give you a basic idea of the design goal, and also prove to you that we are actually working on something! :wink:

Game on!
concept3.jpg
concept3.jpg (152.12 KiB) Viewed 26811 times
concept4.jpg
concept4.jpg (251.2 KiB) Viewed 26811 times
core2.jpg
core2.jpg (221.95 KiB) Viewed 26811 times
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Arkos
Council Member

Re: Basilisk Update 2016

Post by Arkos »

I can't wait to see what you come up with for this new game. Based on the screenshots, it's sure going to be different from Eschalon, to be sure.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

nice concept shots for sure!

im not a huge mobile game guy but id at least look at what you put out to see if id play it. currently i found Dungeon Boss and i love it.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Purty art! I kind of want to brute-force reverse those blurred letters, but I'm kind of a jerk like that :)
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Halo + Deus ex + Descent

This game will be awesome!

Just plz make the RPG leveling stuff more like Red Steel 2 and less like the Witcher.

Encountering enemies that are unkillable or becoming unkillable based on excel sheet values is dumb :(

(If its a shooter and not turn-based, it shouldn't primarily be how much DMG you deal with each hit, but primarily how many special skills you have and how skillfully the player uses them that matters)
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dies a Lot »

I would also like to see the mobile games you've developed. So, definitely post the links to them when you release them.

The concept art does look very interesting. Look forward to anything you make.

Ron
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

Are those made with Bryce 3D?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

These art shots make me totally impatient to see what you are doing next. Please do let us in on the mobile games you have developed. Keep up the good work BW!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Very cool looking shots, BW. Looking forward to more information on everything you've been doing and do going forward. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Great news! Can't wait to see what you've been working on.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Great to see you guys are still alive and kicking. Can't wait to see what the new game will be like!
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

These pics are interesting and make me curious about the game, which is a good thing! Congratulations!
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

I am so ready for the next Basilisk Game!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Quaan wrote:I am so ready for the next Basilisk Game!
Me too. This part of the game development process is painfully slow- it's an arduous task turning concept art into playable areas, building the hundreds of objects needed to fill the world, and building the core game engine. We'll have nothing really worth showing until most of this is done.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
nottorp
Initiate

Post by nottorp »

Sorry to whine, but if you've switched to Unity, can you still keep laptop users in mind?
In my experience, Unity is the great battery eater for no good reason. I got better performance and battery life while playing xcom (1 not 2, but that was pretty hard on a system too) than when playing $random_unity_game. Every time.