How difficult is it to make a game?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Leezar
Marshall

How difficult is it to make a game?

Post by Leezar »

Hi all,

I finally could afford an android device, and I have been downloading space explorer / space empire building games and reached the conclusion that they all suck major donkey balls compared to Escape Velocity (really old Mac game but still awesome, check it out if you have a system 9 or less Mac).

My sister have gone to design school and I have seen some of her stuff and its pretty good, so I am sure I could slip her some monies and get nice starships and alien critters etc.

The problem is, however, I have a job and a family so I have very little time, and I know next to nothing about programming.

So the question is, is it feasable to get something going? Like, should I even bother or would I just waste time and effort?

I think space explorer game, of course, because I surmise they would be the least effort and android because you need not bother with marketing etc other than uploading and setting a price (I guess)? + people are more tolerant of less, well, qualitative games (in terms of graphics etc, though the storytelling should beat most games, I have some ideas for that) on tablets.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: How difficult is it to make a game?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Heh, well it's not easy- but don't let that stop you from trying.

In my own experience, the hardest part is staying focused and inspired long enough to complete it. I have walked away from every game I have ever started developing... except for three.

Even now, the mountain of work that lies in front of me for "the next RPG" is soul-crushingly enormous, but it's what I love to do and so I keep digging through it every day. That's really the only advise I can give you: just keep at it, even when you feel like giving up. That's the only way you will finish.

You say you can't program? Well, I suggest Unity3D and C# as your starting point. Start by making a simple Break-Out clone. Then do a Space Invaders clone. Then maybe a simple Mario Bros. clone. Once you make 4 or 5 simple games, you should have the experience needed to start something bigger. But DON'T try something big on your first go or it will be a structural mess and you'll find out half-way through that it's impossible to complete.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Just a quick update;

https://www.humblebundle.com/clickteam-fusion-bundle

I bought that. Seems perfect for a programming inept person like me.

If I ever get around to actually make anything at least semi-decent, I will be sure to post like, a direct connect username or something in this thread.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Looking forward to trying out anything you try and create sir.

If you need a tester or two i think there are a few ppl here whod def help out.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

I always think about Doodle Jump, when this question comes up. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjofzwaC_Oo