Spam problems

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Spam problems

Post by SpottedShroom »

BW, are you still requiring people contact you directly to create an account? The spam volume's getting so big lately that it occasionally swamps my RSS reader. Given the low quantity of actual posts between games, I've been thinking of removing the feed, but I'd hate to do that.

Are there other things you could do to fight spam? Maybe CAPTCHAs to post for people with recent accounts, or deputize some of the regulars to help respond to it?
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Spam problems

Post by blatherbeard »

^what he said.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I am sorry, guys. I know it's bad. I'll look into some additional bot controls.

No, I stopped doing the "contact me directly" thing because it was overwhelming and legit requests were being deleted. I'll look into giving a couple people moderator authority to delete spam.

If you feel you need to remove the forums from your RSS feed, I can only say I understand. Other than the SPAM drops, things are quiet around here and will probably be that way for a while. You can always follow Basilisk on Twitter, Facebook, or our main page and then you won't miss when the next game is revealed.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

We do occasionally find things to chat about here, though. Like spam-bots. Maybe that should be your next game, Thomas. Attack of the Spam Bots. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

@Kreador: As long as we get slay them mercilessly with a wide variety of weapons and destructive spells! :twisted:
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I would be happy to volunteer for spam control duty if that would help.