Basilsik Update 2020

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Basilsik Update 2020

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I promised a New Year 2020 update, and so here it is!

Honestly, not much has changed from last year. I'm here in the studio everyday working on something. One day I could be working on our sci-fi RPG, the next day I might be assisting another developer on their mobile project.

What I've spent a lot of time on in late 2019 and will be spending more time on in 2020 is....a helicopter sim adventure. Yep, you read that right. We are working with another developer on a mission-based helicopter "sim" (not a hyper realistic simulator model, but accurate enough to feel real). It will have some elements of Wing Commander (complete missions, advance the story) and Sim Copter (earn money, buy helicopters and accessories to be able to take on new types of missions).

I know what you're thinking: this is pretty damn far from your RPG roots. Yep! But as I have said in the past- as a developer, I am happy to work on other projects that provide income while we continue to develop our own RPGs. If I didn't take on other projects for more income, we'd have closed the studio a couple years ago.

Hopefully I can share more info on this helicopter game later this spring. And of course, as soon as the sci-fi RPG gets far enough along, we'll be sharing that too!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Basilsik Update 2020

Post by blatherbeard »

If its not an app, im all in.

if its an app, ......

maybe.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

I'm glad you can make a living from programming, but i will pass on the helicopter game.
On the other hand i am still looking forward to play the Basilisk sci-fi game, whatever time it may take to finish it.
Until then i will be lurking around the Forum anyway.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

blatherbeard wrote: If its not an app, im all in.
Not an app. Right now Windows only on Steam. It's being made with Unity, so a Mac and Linux port would be easy to do if it sells well.
Quaan wrote:On the other hand i am still looking forward to play the Basilisk sci-fi game, whatever time it may take to finish it.
Thank you for your continued support. The sci-fi RPG is so damn cool...it's a design idea that I've had for 20+ years at this point. This game has been through (at least) 4 different engines as I try to find the best way to present it. It will see the light of day...someday.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Last time I flew a chopper was Tiger Heli... it didn't end well. That doesn't mean I won't try flying one again...
BasiliskWrangler wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:37 am It will see the light of day...someday.
Hey Boss, just don't wait until you've got to put a gray beard on the Basilisk logo. :mrgreen:
[+] SPOILER
beardeddragon.jpg
beardeddragon.jpg (135.6 KiB) Viewed 62579 times
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Windows only, and steam. oh darn i have both so i guess i cant bitch and will have to buy it now. HAHAH

screw epic games, gog, et al. STEAM IS LIFE..

well at least they do the whole game curating thing better .
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

It's wonderful to know the game is still "under development." Am selfishly hoping some day is sooner rather than later.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Actually, a Wing Commander-esque helicopter game sounds kind of fun to me. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Not as much as I'm looking forward to hearing about the Sci-Fi RPG, but it'll keep me busy in the short term.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Re: Basilisk Update 2020

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Only a few days now and we'll be approaching the six year mark since Basilisk Games released their last game.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Basilisk Update 2020

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:16 pm Only a few days now and we'll be approaching the six year mark since Basilisk Games released their last game.
I know 6 years seems like a long time...and it is...but after Book 3 I took a much needed break while continuing to support and market the trilogy. BlitzMax was officially abandoned (only to resurface as Open Source, which no one is actively working on) and so I've switched to Unity. Started on a Space Shooter RPG-ish game (ZATMOS) which I put on the back burner after the feature scope went out of control. Began porting my sci-fi RPG over to Unity, and that too derailed when I realized a first-person perspective engine was not the best way to present a party-based, turn-based RPG.

So, a lot has happened in 6 years. I've been busy! I'm still here and working on both ZATMOS and the Sci-Fi RPG, and now helping on a Helicopter-based adventure sim. Something will come out eventually! :D
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I'll race you... we'll see who finishes first... you with a game, or me with another fanfic piece! :mrgreen:
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

Well, you have my congratulations for staying in business all those years BW!

To re-introduce myself, I'm an old gamer from Book 1 period, that just remembered about "What was that old game with cartography skill? What was it called? I remember having mapped the levels of it"... And so here I am again. Though I usually now go by the nickname Hyrkali nowadays (for games at least; Stalfos "died" when I stopped RolePlaying that character).

And so here I am again, learning that you still do business but that I now have TWO new books to play throught! I'll certainly redo the Book 1 (since it's free on Steam now; I wouldn't remember how I bought it in the first place - 15 years is a long time).

I'll keep an eye on those forums! ;)
Hyrkali
Freelance Web Developer @ NickoLabs
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Welcome Back Stalfos/Hyrkali,

You do have a bit to catch up on. And a lot of fun adventure on the way.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: February 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm Welcome Back Stalfos/Hyrkali,

You do have a bit to catch up on. And a lot of fun adventure on the way.
Thanks for the welcome back! :)
Hyrkali
Freelance Web Developer @ NickoLabs
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Interesting...did not expect the helicopter sim...not really my thing....

I am however still waiting to see the Sci Fi game you talked to me about a long time ago...

Remember me?