Eschalon Nostalgia

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Leezar
Marshall

Eschalon Nostalgia

Post by Leezar »

Hi there all, especially the big lizard himself.

I'd just thought I should share; I am currently going through a real stressful time in my life.

I won't bore you with details but basically I don't know if I will have a job next year*.

Anyway, that's not the point, the point is I booted up Eschalon again, and just the music and intro created like a Nostalgia feels, and I was immediately put at ease, reminded of a gentler, simpler time in my life. So, I uh, just wanted to say keep up the good job BW. Your games probably means a lot more for at least some people than you might have realized!

P.S.
Happy holidays n whatever else ***** common courtesy suggests I should wish others

* In case anyone remembers, yes I have complained about being unemployed before, but then I found a job, so this is uh, a new scare of an old foe or something, I dunno.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Eschalon Nostalgia

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Happy holidays to you Leezar. Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed out.

Remember: Worry is the misuse of imagination. Try not to dwell on bad thoughts of events that have not, and may not, happen. But I understand that 2020 has been a very stressful year for pretty much everyone, so know that you are not alone.

I'm glad Eschalon gives a nostalgic comfort to you and others. Sometimes I play it myself, just to remember a simpler time when I was able to make a living off of my hobby of game developing. These days, Basilisk Games is mostly a contracted studio to help others. It keeps a bit of money coming in, but leaves little time for my own projects. I hope 2021 allows me to focus more on what I love to do. I have not lost focus on my goal of getting my sci-fi RPG finished.

Have a safe and enjoyable holiday, everyone! Stay home, play some games, and do your best to not worry about what 2021 may bring. I am confident that it will be a far better year than 2020.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Happy holidays, Leezar, and BW, and everyone else!

For all of its difficulty, 2020 has had good elements alongside the bad, like most years. Just a bit more extreme on the ends.

May 2021 bring us all a bit more security and stability.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Control what you can and try to not stress on what you cant. Sorry to hear about your sitch leezar, wish you teh best. You can only control what you can, like i cant make bw let me play Eschalon in 21:9 ... ha ha. Love you buddy hope you get your stuff sorted. dont fear to reach out, we are here. and btw, steam name blatherbeard, if you do steam hmu, maybe youll get a gift. ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Ah man. This is a good subject - thanks for bringing it up Leezar.

I frequently find myself humming or whistling Eschalon music, and it always brings back strong emotions. I end up using it as ambient music for DnD campaigns quite a bit as well.
The harp music especially makes me remember such wonderful times, exploring the world that BW made for us. Or the busy city soundtrack playing in the end credits of game three, but without the talking/chatter track over it - always brings a tear to my eye.

As far as 202 goes, I had quite a few life changing events. I actually got a new job at a warehouse delivery custodial supplies all around my campus, got married, and finished my worst semester at college yet. I just started another stressful semester at my university, but remembering things like this always takes a little bit of the bite off. Thanks BW for the wonderful gift you've given all of us of fantastic memories, fresh ideas, and powerful emotions. And thanks to everyone here for being such a wonderful and supportive community.

Wishing all of you a fantastic year! Especially those in health care and other essential occupations. We salute you.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Ogbebaba
Initiate

Post by Ogbebaba »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: December 24th, 2020, 8:05 am I have not lost focus on my goal of getting my sci-fi RPG finished.
Any idea when that might happen? I want that game lol
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Ogbebaba wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 12:10 am Any idea when that might happen? I want that game lol
It seems I repeat myself on this every 6-9 months, so I guess it's time to do it again. :D

The Sci-Fi game has been through at several iterations, including a nearly 2 year development cycle with a full 3D / First Person engine, which I had to scrap. Why? The scope blew up and became far too large for a tiny studio like Basilisk Games. I'm currently focusing on a retro pixel design, sort of like Eschalon but more stylistic.

Between working on the sci-fi game, I've picked up side projects help other devs with their games and by doing some non-game remote work to keep income flowing. The sci-fi game is still very much happening, but it feels more like a hobby now. I work on it when I can part-time, and there have been weeks where I have barely touched it. It's just going to take more time, so I can't give any estimates right now.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.