Hardest part of game development?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Hardest part of game development?

Post by Saxon1974 »

For any developers out there (Basilisk included I hope :) ), what is the most difficult and time consuming part of the process?

I have been working casually on a game of my own for a while and Im getting to the point that I just don't know if I will continue due to the amount of time needed. I just don't really have the time for it with a full time job. I have created about 70% of a map editor while learning the Blitzmax language.

I have also written a few chapters in a book that I plan to go along with the game to provide background info and stuff.

Which would you say takes the longest on average?

Building the map editor?
Building the game engine?
the graphics?
The overall game design?
the testing?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
elstyr
Initiate

Post by elstyr »

Creating a good story, developing the player- and game-concept into the deepest detail - that takes the most time, and that's the most valuable work to do. Way before the development starts (except of some concept arts, concept code etc.).
Since you've got a very detailed script, it is so much easier for the "workers" (coders,graphicians,musicians) to do their job. They can do it in parallel to the others and have to rely on the script only. It is like creating a movie - there has to be a script, that pushes the imagination of the makers and gives them decent, but strict rules to keep their eyes in the right way.
After you have the main script, you create sub scripts for the departments, containing detail info for their special tasks, including a time table for jobs which have to be done until the next get-together.
And so, while following the scripts, every team can enhance its output by little tweaks, easter eggs, jokes, and so on..

Just imho..

Best, Elstyr
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Sorry I missed this post, Saxon1974.

Honestly, of all the things you list, they all take about the same amount of time. But if I had to pick one, I would say I probably spent a bit more development time on the engine than the other things. This was mostly due to suggestions from beta testers and fans who wanted certain features, so I ended up going well beyond my initial feature list.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

elstyr wrote:Creating a good story, developing the player- and game-concept into the deepest detail - that takes the most time, and that's the most valuable work to do. Way before the development starts (except of some concept arts, concept code etc.).
Since you've got a very detailed script, it is so much easier for the "workers" (coders,graphicians,musicians) to do their job. They can do it in parallel to the others and have to rely on the script only. It is like creating a movie - there has to be a script, that pushes the imagination of the makers and gives them decent, but strict rules to keep their eyes in the right way.
After you have the main script, you create sub scripts for the departments, containing detail info for their special tasks, including a time table for jobs which have to be done until the next get-together.
And so, while following the scripts, every team can enhance its output by little tweaks, easter eggs, jokes, and so on..

Just imho..

Best, Elstyr
Interesting thoughts, thanks for the feedback. The stuff you mention is probably my favorite part of working on a game. I don't mind the programming and map creation stuff, but it's the design of the story and content that I like the most. Maybe I might get somewhere after all :)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Sorry I missed this post, Saxon1974.

Honestly, of all the things you list, they all take about the same amount of time. But if I had to pick one, I would say I probably spent a bit more development time on the engine than the other things. This was mostly due to suggestions from beta testers and fans who wanted certain features, so I ended up going well beyond my initial feature list.
No problem at all, thanks for replying....

I can see the engine being the most time consuming because Im guessing that's where you have to make all the pieces work. I guess Im just trying to get some kind of wild guess as to the time and effort it might take me to make even a most basic RPG game. Im shooting for maybe something small that looks decent and maybe just one tiny dungeon or something to start with.

If I can get to that point I might start looking for some other people to work with and show them my design ideas and stuff. Im definitely more into the old school approach like you have taken, so I wouldn't be interested in finding work in a big studio.

Now, if I could ever leave my current IT job for this type, I don't know if I would ever have the guts. :?

It just seems like I keep being drawn towards creating a game, it's really something I have had a passion for since I was a kid.