Can you deal with no auto map?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Y.M.Davinci
Pledge

Post by Y.M.Davinci »

Picking up your pencil and drawing maps!Hmm,I think nowadays it's more of a TRPG stuff than a pc game.Though drawing maps gave me a much closer connection with the game world,it cost too much time.Unfortunately,I can't spent so much time on a rpg like before.I would love to,but some times it really makes you crazy,especially in a 3D maze.

I've just finished "Dungeon Lord".Before the 1.4 update pack coming out,the game has no automap,and I can't ever complete the first scene until I got a 1.4 patch.

PS,the chest opening is full of fun in "Dungeon Lord".
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

In BT1 I used scry site to figure the location of a special encounter (something like 255 baddies or something) and then used teleport spell to go there over and over, having my mages pelt them from a distance and getting the max experience allowed for a fight (probably 32k). I did that about 60 times with my characters getting several levels boost with little effort, just time to have all those messages scroll.

For M&M2 I found a fountain that raised all stats (including level) to 200, and I found some horrible valley that had very high level monsters in it. Well I put 2 and 2 together and started going back and forth. The encounters would give tons of experience (M&M2 got ridiculous with numbers) and the loot was fantastic. I was able to get my characters up past level 100 and eventually didn't even use the fountain. :)

But yeah, I don't have much time for borging, or power leveling, or whatever it's called these days. I'd rather enjoy a good storyline than chase the numbers.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

When I was younger and had more time, but less money, I would draw my own maps. I drew maps for Alternate Reality:The City and Dungeon, MM1,MM2 and others. But now that I am older with more money ( I can finally buy more games!) but less time, I prefer automapping. I no longer have the luxury of spending hours mapping out a level, especially not a game like Bard's Tale 1 where combat happened every few steps.
I am more interested in a good storyline and having fun that getting map cramps in my hand.
History is written by the winners!