Copy Protected Software

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Axxaxx
Apprentice

Re: Copy Protected Software

Post by Axxaxx »

Look here, just what I suggested:
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/pres ... 806241.txt
and they promise to release patches if they go out of business, that is a nice promise, let's hope they maintain it.

I think Basilisk should do something like that.
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

I'd just like to note that statistics of downloads cannot in any way be considered as lost sales so they should not dishearten Eschalon's team so much.

We don't know how many of those downloads are from people who already have the game and just could not bother e-mailing Plimus to reactivate their download links when they wanted to get the game after another format, or on their second PC, or at a different house (divorced parents or whatever) or their sister's PC or...

We don't know how many of the people who downloaded the game without owning it played it any further than the area allowed to be played in the demo or how many played further than that, but still disliked the game and uninstalled it shortly after, maybe redownloaded to give it another try but once again quit.

We don't know how many only downloaded it to distribute it further. I've seen it done with roms, I'm sure it happens with PC games, where people just download something to complete a collection, not actually play it.

We don't know how many just got and played through it only because they could do so for free, but would never, EVER actually buy something like it, instead just move on to the next game they could get for free.

There are many similar reasons like that which bloat the number of downloads. Certainly, as a paying customer, I'm not happy with leechers getting for free what I paid for. But I still don't want developers to have the grand misconception that all those downloads account to lost revenue in any way shape or form, because it usually leads to copy protection measures which hinder me more than the pirates and don't help sales.

Of course, if Book II includes copy protection, it can do better than Book I but mainly because of other factors. Namely being a better game (I hope so, I don't think I'd buy Book I all over again) and having better exposure and a developer that is now considered more reliable than with their first game, among other factors.

From other threads you will see I've actually suggested the introduction of copy protection measures, but only akin to other independent games which seem good enough to stop the casual pirates who only do it when it's just too easy to, and not in a way that hinders the lawful good customers. Also, I suggested it for vastly different reasons than just adding protection for the sake of it... Thanks for reading.

PS: Axxaxx, such promises are easy to make for any company, but I wouldn't trust any individuals to have this on their mind when they're facing bankrupty and the fact they need to get a new job asap to preserve their families' well being. Of course, it's easy to trust the smaller guys more than the likes of Bioshock's publishers who made the same promise recently, heheh...
Scryler
Apprentice

Post by Scryler »

I hope sales stay high enough that you don't have to resort to copy protection. I plan on buying Book II. I am not very familiar with the gaming industry. It would be nice if you could post more names/links of those game developers that could use support...I would certainly try to do my part.

Ahhh....didn't think about the RPG forum. I'll try that.
When the long night is behind you and the sun climbs the sky once again, fly with the birds on the warm wind: sing a song of joy, for you were smiled upon while you slept.
recluse
Apprentice

Post by recluse »

I don't like the CD-required games because I prefer to set volume very low, and the sound of the spinning CD forces me to turn volume up if I want to hear anything. I tried headphones a couple times, but it was awkward.

I'm surprized -- shocked! -- to learn that piracy rate is so high. How do I know whether the game I'm downloading is coming from a legitimate distributor? I shudder to think I may have purchased games from a thief.