Board colors hurt my eyes

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Jude
Council Member

Board colors hurt my eyes

Post by Jude »

I can't seem to find a way to set the board options so that the text is dark on light rather than light text on a dark background. After a few minutes of browsing the forums, my eyes get strained, and if I persist, I get a headache!

Assuming that I haven't missed the option to change the color settings (and please explain how to do it, if I have), could you please add an option to set the forums to dark text with a light background? Thanks.

Jude

EDITED to fix punctuation.
Last edited by Jude on July 1st, 2008, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Board colors hurt my eyes

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I just enabled alternate forum styles. If you got to your user control panel, under board settings, you can change to one of the default schemes if the "Basilisk Games Dark Imperial" doesn't suit you.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Oh, thank you! The subsilver2 option is good, and the prosilver is even better. :D

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Oh My! Toto Something is amiss! I think we have been transported to a different time and place! What wizardry is this?

Oh! Great and Powerful wizard BW, what did transpire?

Why have we left our dark, dank and comfortable digs?
History is written by the winners!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Why have we left our dark, dank and comfortable digs?
Did everyone's style change? It shouldn't have.

"Dark Imperial" is everyone's default, but can be changed if desired.

[edit]....oh, I guess it has. I just came to The Pub from another computer, not logged in, and it looks like the default scheme...MUST GET IT FIXED!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Yep, it changed, but fortunately I first came to this topic and saw that I could go to my control panel and fix it. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Hmm, well I forced it back. It looks like there may be a bug in the software because everyone should default to the Dark Imperial, but that is obviously not the case.

Jude, what is it about the board's custom colors hurts your eyes? Does anyone else think the board's colors are bad?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Oh, damn! I don't know what happened, because when you first allowed the option to change it, it was still the default color scheme. I changed mine in the user CP, and I assumed that only mine changed. Did you give me complete board control by accident, so that when I changed mine, everything changed for everyone? If so, maybe you can try again, so that I can adjust my color scheme while everyone else stays the same unless they change it.

It's the white on black/dark grey that strains my eyes badly. I really do need dark text on a lighter background. Just typing this (white on black) is giving me a headache...

(BTW, one of the reasons that the old text-based user computer user-interfaces had green text was to try to prevent eye strain from the light text on the black screens, so this is a documented problem...It's not just me!)

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Thank you! Oh, great and noble wizard BW for you opened the dimensional door and transported us back home! :wink: There is no place like home!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!
History is written by the winners!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

It's possible your monitor may be set to a low refresh rate, Jude; this is something that, although many people may not actually notice the flicker, can cause eye strain. Try setting your monitor refresh to a higher rate.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

No, I'm well aware of refresh rate flickering, because I get migraines. My monitor is set to 100 Hz and I've even set Eschalon Book I to a higher refresh rate.

It is the light text on black (or dark grey) that does it.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I working on it, Jude. I'm not sure why but when I add the option to change board colors, it screws up pretty much everyone else even though I specify to have the default scheme be "Dark Imperial". It could be a bug. I'll keep messing with it.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Okay, thanks. When it resets everyone else, can they still go into their preferences and change it back to dark imperial?

BTW, no offence, but why did you choose a default setting that causes eye strain? :? :wink: Maybe there is another cool setting you could default to that has dark text on a light background instead?

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

If it makes Jude feel any better (since she seems to be the only one posting in this thread, so far, whose body is rejecting the color scheme): although I like the colors as colors, it is rather strenuous on my eyes to be reading white over blue-grey or writing in white over black.

Well, perhaps strenuous is the wrong word. What is the word for a color scheme that confuses the eyes and makes them distrust the very act of vision?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I am sorry- there does seem to be a bug in the current forums software that is not allowing us to properly set the default scheme. We are looking into workarounds right now and hopefully will have a fix soon.

Bear with us Jude and Evnissyen!