Dell Studio 1555 Help

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Dell Studio 1555 Help

Post by dare49devil »

Alright, so one of my friends just got the Dell Studio 1555 and she is having webcam problems. I am far away from where she lives and she wants me to fix it for her. -_- Anyway, so I nosed around and so what seems to be happening is that with her pre-installed Dell Webcam Stuff, she can see herself and it works fine. I have an HP so I don't have whatever she is talking about. Heh, but via online webchat services, when you have the two windows, one for me, and one for her, to video chat. Mine works fine, however all I see on her end is a black screen. The light that turns on that signifies that the webcam is on, she says, is ON, (a white light).

So what is the problem? I'm thinking that it is getting 'blocked' or something?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Dell Studio 1555 Help

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Make sure she has the latest Dell drivers for her system, and make sure all video drivers are up to date. If she says it's working but you say you see a black window on your end, the problem may be with your PC. Perhaps you don't have the proper codec to play that format of streaming video(?). Check your video and webcam drivers as well.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I guess another question would be if she has the you + her views, can she see both of them as well?

I'd echo BW's driver update suggestions... there was an update for the 1555 web cam that "fixes compitability with video conference and facial recognition application" released back in February, but that doesn't mean it is automatically installed on a newer machine.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Thanks for the responses, I told her that she might have to update drivers and such...(too bad she had NO idea what I meant...)

-Good news though, it works! I asked her what she did and she told me that her computer did an automatic update or something and it works now..

-Heh. I guess problem solved. =)