What are your favourite music artists?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
MegaHassan
Steward

Re: What are your favourite music artists?

Post by MegaHassan »

I think my Last.FM describes my taste well.
http://www.last.fm/user/MegaHassan

I'm into old school death metal mainly (the 87-93 Stockholm scene in particular, fuck gay melodic gothenburg death metal!), but theres some shades of traditional heavy metal, modern metalcore (just Shadows Fall and Lamb of God though) and thrash metal, grindcore and powerviolence.

@ OP: If you don't mind suggestions, check out Monstrosity's album Imperial Doom. It was Corpsegrinder's first band and his vocals are helluva lot better in that album. That album ranks among the best old school death metal albums ever, too.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I also have an affinity for classic rock such as Rush, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etcetera, I just don't listen to them as much anymore, except for DP and Rush. I'm thinking of exploring some jazz-fusion and classical so if anyone has any reccomendations for me, don't hold back at all please :)
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

The Blues, Folk, and old school country (think Hank Sr or Johnny Cash). Basically anything that tells a story, or has to do with real life themes. Singing about sex gets old. Sex never does though.

My favorites are the like of B. B. King, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Johnson, Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Don McLean, Jim Croce, and so forth. But I'll listen to anything (literally). I have everything from rap to metal to bluegrass to old time rock and roll. At any given moment, you might hear Luciano Pavarotti coming from my speakers, or Johnny Cash. Followed by the soothing sound of old Son House, then around to Bon Jovi and Todd Agnew. Yeah, I have a bit of it all.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
paradoxmoe89
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by paradoxmoe89 »

The best music which i really like are game music like the music in Eschalon book 1 at the end of the game with the chancellor the music is really great , and the theme music(basicly i like music withought any singer in it mabe some woman showing her vocal abilities my aaaa or somethin like it hehe) also the theme of gothic 1 is really nice , other than that The dutch Band Within temptation is really good, Carlos santana rocks too, i like the solo s (europa) i think thats its name , brian adams is nice , and other some arabic singers u never heard of em since im arabian but my ears are much for english.
Why Hurt Each Other While Fighting The whole World
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I'm almost always the odd one out when people ask this question of me, but here goes... .

Favorite living band: Mahogany
Favorite defunct band: Jessamine

Other favorite bands/artists: Kristin Hersh / Throwing Muses, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Mira, Broadcast, Bardo Pond, Sigur Rós, Ride, Cranes... to name a few.

I'm mostly into Shoegaze and modern psychedelia, I guess.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Zeno
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Zeno »

For some reason, I love music, and have a couple of songs that I really like, but no bands I specifically like.

Except the Beatles. :D
zetetic0void
Initiate

Post by zetetic0void »

I was born in 1971 and it's perhaps odd that most of my favourite music was made before my birth.

- J.S. Bach
- Debussy
- Rachmaninov
- Eric Satie
- Alan Hovhaness (fairly modern... wrote Mount Saint Helen's Symphony)

- The Beatles
- much 60's music
- Led Zeppelin - especially live stuff (ok, that's mostly 70's)

- a lot of "ambient music"
- some jazz expecially with a lot of improvization

- some jazz ... I like improvization and "at the moment" expressions

- classical Indian music from India (sitar, tabla, voice)

- pre-renaissance music

- "olde" music with weird baroque or Medieval instruments (lute, viola de gamba , etc)

- others.... Goldfrapp, Kate Bush,

Since Michael Jackson's death, I have listened to many of his songs and many have great social messages and creativity and expression but it is his ability at 'body motion' (call it dance if you want) that is often times so cool to watch on old video clips (live clips of Bille Jean where he does the robotic mechanical moves and of course the Moon Walk). There's one with "Man in the Mirror" on stage where he does this incredible spin and falls on his knees right on the beat. It's just really amazing even though for some reason I'm not really interesting in purposefully listening to his music ... I can still appreciate the genius (at music and "body expression" there.)

Oh then there is the sound of the wind and rain and waves on the rocks and the chirping peepers in the marsh on summer nights ... timeless nameless sonic composers perhaps better than all the rest!
twodumb
Initiate

Post by twodumb »

i like artists like robert plant,alison krauss,warren zevon,tracy chapman,roy orbison,jim steinman,meatloaf,janis joplin,cyndi lauper,and many others
romero69
Initiate

Post by romero69 »

wow. I feel old. I was born in 69. In the early-mid seventies I remember my older brother having albums that intigued me. black sabbath-paranoid, It is hard to forget the opening of iron man. so rock/heavy metal was the first thing i remember. also zeppelin,nugent,jethro tull,and of course kiss. which was my favorite up until 78 when i heard van halen. my sisters had some stuff I enjoyed on the other end of the spectrum the b-52's,kraftwerk,prince,sugarhill gang then in middle school i was corrupted by iron maiden,judas priest,metallica, also some early motley crue and ratt. by then i had began playing guitar and when i heard metallica's ride the lightning it was all over i started listening to celtic frost,voi vod,bathery,sodom,kreator,possessed,slayer,DRI,the misfits,G.B.H.,black flag,death,sepultura,canibal corpse,pestilence,entombed by the early 90's my band necrolatry had split up. after having decent success in the underground I joined a old friends band, distrorted view and went back more roots for me, sabbath meets maiden. then that took its course after a couple of years and some success we played milwaukee metal fest with voi vod and gwar plus others. plus opened for malevolent creation and exodus. so by the mid to late nineties I went even more old school for me and started doing rock/metal/funk/punk with my band 12 fl.oz which was around the detroit scene about 10 years in this time my listening pleasures opened back up. with fiona apple,bjork,nirvana,deee-lite,parliment-funkadelic,sade,stevie ray vaughn,tricky,portishead,the dead can dance,the beastie boys,the police of course some of these bands i had heard before this i am just reciting some of my current cd's cant forget the doors,jimi hendrix,ozzy,rage against the machine,plus dj,club,techno,drum and bass everything but opera and country but i do like johnny cash. sorry so long but thats my story and Im sticking to it
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yes, I like Portishead and Dead Can Dance, too.

As for Björk, well... I really only liked her stuff when she was with KUKL and then the Sugarcubes.

The Sugarcubes' stuff is quite fascinating, to me (though not their third record). A truly bipolar sound (not their third record).
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Devon
Initiate

Post by Devon »

I'm really into Yellow Magic Orchestra right now (think japanese kraftwerk, but so much more!), Roxy Music, and Daryl Hall (yes, of Hall and Oates) right now (I guess experimental late 70s early new wave/pop is my current fascination, heh). His first solo album Sacred Songs is experimental and rocks out like you wouldn't believe (thanks to Robert Fripp).

Elvis Costello and The Replacements are my favorites.

I also love Gram Parsons, Big Star, and the Beatles.

I have really varied tastes though and listen to everything from Ace of Bass, Loretta Lynn, Bob Dylan, the Spin Doctors, Eric Satie, Bach, Fiest, Joanna Newsom, Phoenix, the Fiery Furnaces, Tom Petty, Ice Cube, Tailb Kweli, Tupac, Dinosaur Jr and thrash, grind, and death metal too, especially the experimental stuff.
@MegaHassan
Coroner - Grin (coroner has a lot of good thrash albums), Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion, early Bathory, the first Napalm Death album. It's real cheesy but Elvenking is a crazy medieval/folk metal band from South America, Finntroll is also cheesy but awesome folk metal. Therion - Secret of the Runes is my favorite opera metal. I like Gama Bomb right now which is your basic punk thrash, but it's fun. Boris is really great Japanese indie metal. Megadeth - Peace Sells, and Metallica - Justice for all are probably my favorite 80s thrash. At the Gates and mid period In Flames (they really suck now). mid period Death and Entombed when they started making really weird, hard, straight up rock/heavy metal instead of generic death metal (although I like early Death, early Entombed is too boring for me). Dream Theater is good sometimes. Austrian Death Machine is kind of generic, but being themed around Arnold Schwarzennegger is kind of interesting/hilarious.

Painkiller is a great noise jazz/grind band. john zorn, i think the drummer from napalm death?, and eye from the Boredoms (also great japanese noise band). Converge, Lightning Bolt, and the Locust are good noise, but that might not be your thing. Locust is the most like early Napalm Death.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Lightning Bolt are interesting, though after a while they can be a bit dull, I think.

...At least based based on the one record I have. If I remember right, I think it's a self-titled EP. Track titles like "Valley of the Whirling Knives" or something like that. Did they put out anything more?

And hurray! to Joanna Newsom. I like her first record better, but I admire her for taking such efforts, between #1 & #2, to learn how to sing. There's a real difference in vocal quality between the two. Of course, I love her lyrics as well.

So, Devon, are you really into that sort of Dungeons&Dragons-inspired Metal? I'm not into Metal, nor am I into D&D, but I find the mixture interesting. Those guys have guts, and devotion, and I admire that.

(EDIT: By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is folk metal, and what does it sound like?)
MegaHassan
Steward

Post by MegaHassan »

@ Devon: Early Entombed boring? haha, well different people, different tastes I guess @_@. I love Gama Bomb too, even though Municipal Waste and Cross Examination probably do it better, Gama Bomb is just more... badass. Hate DT. Love Bathory, ND and most of the other bands you mentioned. Except those gay folk metal bands. Never got what was so good about them, but folk metal mixed with ambient/black metal can be good at times. RUDRA is a good death/black hybrid that sometimes gets classified as vedic metal or folk death metal, for reasons I can't fathom.
Devon
Initiate

Post by Devon »

@Evnissyen

Folk metal is kind of is an umbrella description but usually describes two very different metal styles that often incorporate acoustic instruments. First there is music that is kind of a combination of traditional ethnic folk music (usually of the band's country of origin) and more modern death or power metal. It is lively and often reminds me of drinking songs. Here's some of my favorite examples of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZbucSufNm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192UHxJ8tP4

The other "folk metal" is the complete opposite and is intensely desolate and introspective. It evolved out of black metal and the earlier bands often sounded very much like black metal bands with slower tempos and acoustic passages. The more modern bands have mostly jettisoned the black metal parts but kept the same feeling of icy Norwegian winters and intense isolation in their music. I'd say the genre is getting closer to some American sadcore/emo music in style now, but with a more abstract lyrical focus, but that's just my opinion. Here's some of my favorite examples of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnbWBYifmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQHQsxvW ... re=related

If the two styles share anything besides metal roots, I'd say it is in their focus on evoking a sense of place that is natural and old, far away from modernity.

As for medieval metal, I'm not hugely interested in it but I find it interesting and I keep a few of the catchy songs around. I really like that Elvenking song and some Rhapsody once in awhile but, I prefer the ones that don't take themselves very seriously, as that's my personality and I think Rhapsody videos are pretty funny.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Interesting. I like them (except for the Elvenking track), especially the Ulver track which sounds kinda shoegazey, actually.

Hmm... .
stiffanbond
Pledge

Post by stiffanbond »

in no particular order mine are:

1. parliament
2. funkadelic
3. sly and the family stone
4. stereolab
5. the stark reality
6. can
7. ohio players
8. bootsy's rubber band
9. david axelrod
10. marvin gaye