Favourite OS

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!

¿What's your favourite operating system?

Windows 98
2%
Windows 2000
No votes
Windows ME
No votes
Windows XP
14%
Windows Vista
No votes
Windows 7
21%
Mac OS
2%
Mac OS X
27%
Linux
27%
Other
7%

Total votes: 56

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Favourite OS

Post by Randomizer »

I haven't used most of them, but I have heard enough bad things about the different Windows attempts at an operating system and I've used Windows 3.1 and XP.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

(In his best Borat voice) "I like sex; I like Windows 7..."
Amazadh Kristeopolous
Apprentice

Post by Amazadh Kristeopolous »

CrazyBernie wrote:(In his best Borat voice) "I like sex; I like Windows 7..."
...hhhhmmmm...
...yes, I suppose they both ensure that someone gets screwed...
"Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes..."
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Amazadh Kristeopolous wrote:...hhhhmmmm...
...yes, I suppose they both ensure that someone gets screwed...
Interesting correlation. I guess abstinence, as well as an alternative OS, isn't for everyone.

:twisted: :mrgreen: :P
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

ROFL...

Well, I much preferred Ubuntu to Windows, but I have too much invested into my game collection to dump the big M$ OS. WINE is not capable of running hardly anything, and as it is not under anything remotely resembling development (unless deleting work-arounds to getting certain games working so that users will be forced to buy the pay version is development), I'm stuck there. Win7 with the XP mode will probably be my next main OS.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
paradoxmoe89
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by paradoxmoe89 »

well its windows i mostly used(xp,vista same to me) for gaming i think xp s better , keep control of everything , since i m using vista since 6 months there s some tricks in vista i didnt get yet.
Why Hurt Each Other While Fighting The whole World
scback
Initiate

Post by scback »

64-bit Windows 7 is great!
Samurai Drakon
Apprentice

Post by Samurai Drakon »

It is a very sad fact that Mac OSX is so wonderful. All white and compact, it is... too perfect... (presses F9/F10/F11 with glee)
Attachments
This is why
This is why
img.php.jpg (106.53 KiB) Viewed 7584 times
My swords may be sharp, but so are my wits. I will first draw them and many think I never draw my blades; they are mistaken. It is because none have ever seen them ALIVE... because of my firey breath of course -The legendary Dragon Samurai
Slayer_
Initiate

Post by Slayer_ »

anybody who argues in favor of mac/osx clearly has no clue. osx is designed to keep its users as far away from achieving any knowledge of ANYTHING related to computers what so ever. osx is nothing more than a rip and re-hash of BSD, with some proprietary trash API's thrown in. nobody develops for osx for many other reasons aside from the most obvious one being that its not as popular as pc. to top things off its GUI, layout and environment is the most counter productive piece of trash in history - compared to anything on linux or pc. whoever fooled you into overpaying for underpowered hardware needs a reality check. none of the crap you hear about what makes pc so horrible is true anymore. ya, if you download REAL OBVIOUS crap like XXX.EXE or run a bunch of unsigned activeX controls from brides.ru then mabey you deserve a virus. speaking of virus, vista/7x64 have more native layers of security than any other OS. its alot more complicated to write malware on 7 than it is on osx. infact, there is a major security crisis going on at apple right now that apple is desperately trying to keep a secret. you see, unlike windows7 which comes with kernel protection, force use of signed drivers, DEP and built in firewall, osx has none of this!

i love windows 7, i like linux too. but i like windows 7 alot better (the only advantage linux has over windows is at enterprise server solutions, and even thats being beaten by microsoft). but what i really like is buying much more powerfull hardware at a cheaper cost. my e8400 has been clocked at 3.8ghz for over a year and a half now and my system runs 24/7 and still passes tests 100% stable with OCCT. the intel P35 and above chipsets are the greatest in computer history. i can render 2 hours worth of HD video in 45mins. no mac you can ever purchase can do this. you can spend $15000 on a mac and it still wont do this. my entire system cost 760$. sure final cut pro is great, but you dont need a mac to run it anymore... osx can be fully virtualized in VMware now ON THE PC, which is what i do when i need to use the one worthy mac exclusive app. tbh even final cut pro is being phased outby other apps you can get on the pc now.

you have now been properly educated by me. you can thank me later :)
here is a perfect example of pc vs. mac...
Slayer_
Initiate

Post by Slayer_ »

Samurai Drakon wrote:It is a very sad fact that Mac OSX is so wonderful. All white and compact, it is... too perfect... (presses F9/F10/F11 with glee)
protools is also on the PC
which is a better platform to run it on.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Dude, chillax. You're wasting your breath. Running around in a predominantly alternative OS forum (or at least this posting anyway) spouting about how much everyone's shit sucks is not a good way to make friends. On top of that, most of what your saying means gibberish to the 99% of non-enthusiasts out there. So in reality, you've educated nobody, since the one or two enthusiasts on here (such as myself) already know what you're talking about. :mrgreen:

I believe the "Different Strokes for Different Folks" quote applies here.
Slayer_
Initiate

Post by Slayer_ »

chillax? wasting my breath?
ill post whatever i want, whenever i want, and theres not a god damn thing you, or even the moderators can do to stop it :)

ive cut and pasted that same message in 3 other threads today... this isnt the only forum i visit. infact, im going to save it for future use.
you dont have to be an "enthusiast" to wade through a few three letter acronyms, and the rest of it is quite understandable.

im not running around talking about how everyone's shit sucks, just the mac users :). and i only speak the truth ;)
oh, and i doubt you know anything at all about... anything. there is alot i left out about how macs are inferior to pc, care to finish it off for me?
or are you just going to come up with an excuse of how you rather not waste your precious time answering me?? lol

you are right when you say "Different Strokes for Different Folks", the mac is defintly for those who are even below soccer-mom.

i would really calm down with the hostility in replys twords me. you are fighting against an opponent who has you, and everyone who posts here (including basilisk games) out-matched.
theres really alot of nasty, naaasssty stuff anyone in my position could do if i were to actually give a crap about your lame half hearted troll attempts :)
you are the one who needs to "chillax" because my original anti-mac reply was with full intent of helping another user out by trying to educate them on proper home computing :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Wow, Slayer. You know how to make friends, don't you?

Microsoft has completely forgotten what the purpose of an OS is. From what I've seen Windows 7 64bit will require nearly 25 gigabytes of disk space for a normal install. This is mind-boggling. I remember when DOS ran from a 360kb diskette. The thing is, both DOS and Windows 7 perform essentially the same tasks- manage files and provide an interface with the hardware. So whats with this 25GB bloat?

There's not a single Windows user here that wouldn't give up some of the glitz of Windows 7 in exchange for more speed and less resource requirements. In this regard, XP will probably remain the greatest OS Microsoft has ever made...we'll never see another OS that lean again. Instead of keeping XP alive, Microsoft killed it so that it can put out a new, buggy $200 OS every 3 years in order to keep cash flowing in to support itself. It's not about serving computer users, it's about serving stock holders.

The engineers at Apple have done some amazing things with MacOS. While it's not that much less bloated than Windows, it is far more intuitive. Furthermore, I've never had MacOS crash on me once in 4 years, yet I reset my Vista box at least once per week. The fact is, anyone who criticizes Macintosh is someone who has never used one- it is human nature to fear and loathe what we don't know. As for the argument that "no one develops for Mac", it's just a game of numbers. If MacOS had the larger installation base, then no one would develop for Windows. However, this is shifting more and more.

Now Linux is the most extreme "to the metal" OS you can use. It's not for the timid, but if you like to customize your OS you can't do any better. I enjoy using Linux because it gives me the sensation of being truly in control of my computer.

Anyways, while I use Windows on a daily basis, it is far from the best OS. It only has more software written for it. MacOS is more enjoyable to work with, and Linux is the most customizable if you are a heavy-metal computer user. And for the record, I don't hate Windows- I just think that Microsoft has lost touch with what users want and need.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Microsoft has completely forgotten what the purpose of an OS is. From what I've seen Windows 7 64bit will require nearly 25 gigabytes of disk space for a normal install. This is mind-boggling. I remember when DOS ran from a 360kb diskette. The thing is, both DOS and Windows 7 perform essentially the same tasks- manage files and provide an interface with the hardware. So whats with this 25GB bloat?
25 gigabytes!!?? :evil: :evil: :evil:

In my opinion, the great size difference can be "justified" by the complexity of Windows. It's getting every time more complex and with more things, but I don't think the extra stuff and the interface are worth 25 GB of your hard disk.

Also, if you want to switch back from Windows Vista to Windows XP, you can do that.
BasiliskWrangler wrote:The fact is, As for the argument that "no one develops for Mac", it's just a game of numbers.
I think that's the main reason people don't choose it. I don't, either. Unfortunately, there are a lot more games and apps for Windows than for anything else. If Mac and Linux could get more software to run on them, they would be a very serious problem for Microsoft and Windows. But we'll have to wait.
Fortunately, Basilisk has done what everyone should do and released Eschalon: Book I for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Perhaps, if everyone would do that I'd try Mac and/or Linux.
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Now Linux is the most extreme "to the metal" OS you can use. It's not for the timid, but if you like to customize your OS you can't do any better. I enjoy using Linux because it gives me the sensation of being truly in control of my computer.
What do you mean?

Perhaps are you trying to say that the fact of being open-source allows you to modify Linux at your own desire? That's a good thing, anyway.

I think I'll just stick to Windows XP. It's the best OS I've used (unfortunately, it doesn't open old DOS programs, but that's a minor thing). I had Windows Vista for some months, and although it looks great, it's very bad. I'll never install it again and I advice you to not do so.
Slayer_
Initiate

Post by Slayer_ »

Wow, Slayer. You know how to make friends, don't you?

Microsoft has completely forgotten what the purpose of an OS is. From what I've seen Windows 7 64bit will require nearly 25 gigabytes of disk space for a normal install. This is mind-boggling. I remember when DOS ran from a 360kb diskette. The thing is, both DOS and Windows 7 perform essentially the same tasks- manage files and provide an interface with the hardware. So whats with this 25GB bloat?

There's not a single Windows user here that wouldn't give up some of the glitz of Windows 7 in exchange for more speed and less resource requirements. In this regard, XP will probably remain the greatest OS Microsoft has ever made...we'll never see another OS that lean again. Instead of keeping XP alive, Microsoft killed it so that it can put out a new, buggy $200 OS every 3 years in order to keep cash flowing in to support itself. It's not about serving computer users, it's about serving stock holders.

The engineers at Apple have done some amazing things with MacOS. While it's not that much less bloated than Windows, it is far more intuitive. Furthermore, I've never had MacOS crash on me once in 4 years, yet I reset my Vista box at least once per week. The fact is, anyone who criticizes Macintosh is someone who has never used one- it is human nature to fear and loathe what we don't know. As for the argument that "no one develops for Mac", it's just a game of numbers. If MacOS had the larger installation base, then no one would develop for Windows. However, this is shifting more and more.

Now Linux is the most extreme "to the metal" OS you can use. It's not for the timid, but if you like to customize your OS you can't do any better. I enjoy using Linux because it gives me the sensation of being truly in control of my computer.

Anyways, while I use Windows on a daily basis, it is far from the best OS. It only has more software written for it. MacOS is more enjoyable to work with, and Linux is the most customizable if you are a heavy-metal computer user. And for the record, I don't hate Windows- I just think that Microsoft has lost touch with what users want and need.
i will reply to this tommorow, especily about the part about stability and performance of windows7.