12/21/12

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Rush
Senior Council Member

12/21/12

Post by Rush »

Just curious. Is anyone into the whole 12/21/12 thing? I do not know, nor does anyone else for that matter...whether or not anything will or will not happen upon this date. I am not into it for the actual outcome, but instead, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory, and this one currently lies before us. So what do you think?

http://www.december212012.com/

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: 12/21/12

Post by Dragonlady »

I think it's a bunch of hooie. The end of the world has come and gone umpty number of times before this and we're still here. I could see aliens from outer space finally coming into the open and greeting us. That would set the chickens in the fox den. :) Even those Aztecs (??) say when their calendar changes it's not the end of the world, its the beginning of a new era. Anyone remember the brewhaha the millenium change brought? Still here. People just want to be noticed, want attention and this is good a way to get it as any other. Shrug. I'm too old to fuss about it. If it happens it happens. If not, good. More time to play Escalon 1, 2 & 3 and any other BW's games. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

It was the Maya, Dragonlady, not the Aztec. And the end of the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the world, just the end of the long celestial cycle they projected.

As for whether anything will happen that day, I can guarantee that billions upon billions of things will happen, and the only way those things lead to the end of the world is if enough really psychotic humans make it so. The way things are going in the world, that's not beyond imagination, but has nothing to do with the Mayan calculations about celestial and terrestrial cycles.

Now, who kicked my stool away? My knees get sore trying to jump off this high horse, dammit.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Kind of reminds me of the dreaded Y2K conspiracy theory of yesteryear which had people, of otherwise seemingly normal sanity, laying in extra groceries and the like in order to stem the tide of the possible disaster to come, which never...ah...came.

I remember questioning myself prior to Y2K, wondering if I was fated to be one of the many who would lay in stores, or, was I fated to be one of the many who would not? More importantly (grins), I wondered if I was qualified to diagnose whether I was actually sane, or not, based upon what my decision regarding those same stores would be?

---Rush.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

History is filled with end-of-world prophecies that never came true. Don't believe this one either.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:It was the Maya, Dragonlady, not the Aztec. And the end of the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the world, just the end of the long celestial cycle they projected.
:oops: Thanks, I knew it was one or the other but my mind wasn't funtioning correctly yesterday. Not sure about today either! :D
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Just because someone got too lazy to update their millenia long calendar, it's the end of the world? Riiiiiight.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Interesting, all the crap they're selling, too. But I suppose I'll support their right to make a few hundred bucks or so off silly people.

What I don't support, however, is their right to slander famous people by making it look like they believe this stuff. Really: Is there any evidence that Janeane Garofalo, for example, believes the world will end on a day that combines the numbers 1 & 2 in an interesting way? Their "evidence" is literally a discussion that some people had on a forum on "Janeane Garofalo Online".

...Which, I suppose, means that they can say that BW, as well, believes the contention of their selling strategy.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Even though I can guarantee the world is not going to end on that day, we should all pretend it will and have the the mother of all parties the night before

"Drink like there's no tomorrow, because there might not be!"
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

geishaboy wrote:Even though I can guarantee the world is not going to end on that day, we should all pretend it will and have the the mother of all parties the night before

-Amen to that!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

geishaboy wrote:Even though I can guarantee the world is not going to end on that day, we should all pretend it will and have the the mother of all parties the night before

I'd drink to that but I'm not allowed alcohol with the meds I take. :( Can't get drunk on water darn it all. :x Humm...maybe I can take a chance and get a sugar high...ummm, chocolate! :D
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Just in case I rattled any feathers with the whole 12/21/12 thing, I did not mean to. Just thought it was an interesting topic. Hey, I realize this is the general chat board and not the role-playing games board, but, as long as I am here, I am looking at http://www.hotud.org right now. Mostly DOS games, but I have come across some windows games. Check it out if you like.

---Rush.
Loveletter
Pledge

Post by Loveletter »

Phew, you scared me. I thought it was the date when book 2 will be released :O
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

lol@Loveletter-dot-com

I hope to be playing Eschalon III by then.

---Rush.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Nothing against you, of course, Rush... just commenting on the site itself.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.