Greedy publishers

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Greedy publishers

Post by Iane »

I've been saying for some in in various threads that Aussie gamers are constantly being ripped off by the major Publishers either in stores or Digital Downloads - well here is yet more Proof of what I've been saying, it looks like 2K has now joined the Greed Express on Steam.

http://games.on.net/article/7464/Border ... sting_more
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Greedy publishers

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Are you sure this pricing stuff has nothing to do with the Australian tariff laws? Even for downloads, they may require it (or else, you naughty web people). I know in publishing there's a big issue with the tariffs raising the price of importing books to "defend" the indigenous publishing business from evil foreign competitors.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well, according to Australia's customs website under the "when buying over the internet" section:
All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.
My guess as to why they do is it most likely "because they can." I'm sure they'll chalk it up to reasons like increased costs to support a broader market. If they jacked the price up for everyone, then it would be a disaster... so they do it for the smaller markets.

The best recommendation would be to buy from an american company willing to ship overseas and hope the shipping costs don't make up the difference saved.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

CrazyBernie wrote: My guess as to why they do is it most likely "because they can." .
that is correct
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Are you sure this pricing stuff has nothing to do with the Australian tariff laws? Even for downloads, they may require it (or else, you naughty web people). I know in publishing there's a big issue with the tariffs raising the price of importing books to "defend" the indigenous publishing business from evil foreign competitors.
if that was the case then everything I or anyone else orders over the net would cop this - this would mean basilisk games (for example) would have to charge us $50-$60 per title - the same thing happens with Music and DVD movies - new release Movies cost $32-$35 here
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Honestly, we're pretty lucky here in the US as far as game pricing is concerned... the main pricepoint for (AAA) new release PC games has been $49.99 for what, 15, maybe even 20 years? If they kept up with inflation, even for just the last ten years, we'd be paying over $67 for the same games we pick up now for $49.99 or less.

Yeah, it sucks to be outside the US, but put it this way, you're all helping the developers more than we would. :mrgreen:

The sad part is, when the big boys do actually raise prices, they use lame excuses like piracy rather than telling the truth... that paying the corporate salaries sucks up a lot of cash.