Forum changes coming...

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: Forum changes coming...

Post by King_ov_Death »

I like the way things are going now, but I have a minor complaint:
The "Sticky" icon doesn't seem very clear. Perhaps it would be nice to use an icon identical to the one from "No new posts", but coloured red.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

King_ov_Death wrote:I like the way things are going now, but I have a minor complaint:
The "Sticky" icon doesn't seem very clear. Perhaps it would be nice to use an icon identical to the one from "No new posts", but coloured red.
Make sure you refresh your browser window several times. I have been uploading new icons, buttons, and colors all afternoon...most browsers cache images for a while, so you have to force a refresh to see the latest design.

Noted your dislike of sticky icons. Any other opinions, anyone?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I rather like the Dark Fantasy, the lighter colored background makes it a little easier on the eyes for me.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:I like the way things are going now, but I have a minor complaint:
Make sure you refresh your browser window several times. I have been uploading new icons, buttons, and colors all afternoon...most browsers cache images for a while, so you have to force a refresh to see the latest design.

Noted your dislike of sticky icons. Any other opinions, anyone?
I don't exactly dislike it, I think it's not very clear (it's very similar to the "standard post" icon).

Apart from that, the theme is great.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hmm.. It's not very "Dark" but it is very clean, and easy on the eyes. I certainly don't dislike it. :mrgreen:

And not to be nit-picky, but the top and bottom of the papyrus background don't line up 100% with the middle/body - checked on IE8 and Firefox.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

CrazyBernie wrote:Hmm.. It's not very "Dark" but it is very clean, and easy on the eyes. I certainly don't dislike it. :mrgreen:

And not to be nit-picky, but the top and bottom of the papyrus background don't line up 100% with the middle/body - checked on IE8 and Firefox.
I didn't have any problem. PC specs and/or screenshots please?
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

King_ov_Death wrote:
CrazyBernie wrote:Hmm.. It's not very "Dark" but it is very clean, and easy on the eyes. I certainly don't dislike it. :mrgreen:

It looks fine to me, using Firefox. Bernie is just whining because he is bored. :mrgreen:
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

AK_Marty wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:

It looks fine to me, using Firefox. Bernie is just whining because he is bored. :mrgreen:
Oh no you didn't! :P

The amount of the "discrepancy" seems to vary with the length of the page. It may not be correctable given the style of the edging.
Attachments
Pic2.PNG
Pic2.PNG (11.03 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
Pic1.PNG
Pic1.PNG (13.77 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, I see it too Bernie.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Can you tell me your browser, OS and the resolution you're using, Bernie?

Thanks!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

King_ov_Death wrote:Can you tell me your browser, OS and the resolution you're using, Bernie?

Thanks!
It should be pretty much fixed now.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

In fact, I should say this to everyone:

Please consider switching to "DarkFantasy" now. This is done by going to the User Control Panel, then "Board Preferences", then "My Board Styles".

In the next 48 hours I will switch the default theme over to DarkFantasy unless someone comes up with a reason I shouldn't. After that, I will delete "Basilisk Games Dark Imperial" from the server. The reason being is that it is not fully compatible with the current version of the forum software we use, and that poses security issues.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

King_ov_Death wrote:Can you tell me your browser, OS and the resolution you're using, Bernie?

Thanks!
Not that it particularly matters, but I already mentioned I was using IE8 and Firefox (3.6). I say it doesn't matter because I am currently on my Droid phone and can still see the "discrepancy." Granted, with the changees BW made, it's far less noticable.

PC OS is W7x64 @ 1680x1050

I do hope you're not trying to offer me tech support... ^_^

Also, typing on my Droid with this theme is dog slow for some reason. I wonder if it's the textbox background... hmmm.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

CrazyBernie wrote:Also, typing on my Droid with this theme is dog slow for some reason. I wonder if it's the textbox background... hmmm.
I think that can be trashed. I'll look.

Also, regarding the edges...that is a flaw with the original design. Since the point of contact between the header and footer with the middle section changes depending on how many posts there are, it is impossible to keep those edges perfectly aligned. The only true solution would be to make the edges vertical smooth instead of rough....but I like the rough look.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

CrazyBernie wrote:

Thanks!
Not that it particularly matters, but I already mentioned I was using IE8 and Firefox (3.6). I say it doesn't matter because I am currently on my Droid phone and can still see the "discrepancy." Granted, with the changees BW made, it's far less noticable.

PC OS is W7x64 @ 1680x1050

I do hope you're not trying to offer me tech support... ^_^

Also, typing on my Droid with this theme is dog slow for some reason. I wonder if it's the textbox background... hmmm.
Not exactly, but I could try to replicate it on my cousin's machine (he has the same OS and monitor size).
But if it's fixed, case closed!