the sprintnow thingy, post-hope

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

the sprintnow thingy, post-hope

Post by Evnissyen »

Well... assuming everybody's not too bummed out about the results, I wanted to make a comment on the finalists.

In my opinion, there're only two halfway decent videos in there, now: Epic Evil Laugh (which, after judging the title, was a surprise to me) and Epic Robot . . . the rest are really lame.

Well... Epic Robot is lame, too, but at least the artist did real work on it. My guess, actually is that Mr. Lame Popular Director will pick Epic Robot, because of the impressive animation. ...Which, actually, is fitting, I think. Among all those films: that one is most deserving, I think, even though it wasn't very clever, original or interesting.

...But at least there aren't any cat videos in here. What the hell was up with all those cat videos, anyhow?

Is it just me, or are cats getting more popular, lately? More and more people I meet, lately, have a cat someplace in their apartment.

(Anyhow, I also just wanted to say that I think that the 30'' restriction was just too restrictive. Unless a filmmaker was really brilliant with quick images that worked with the theme music (that's another thing: the music interfered with the film and ended up dictating what could be done and what couldn't be done) . . . then there wasn't really much likelihood he or she was gonna come up with anything really interesting and at all substantive. None of these films were at all substantive -- they couldn't be -- so I'm not sure how they can be a reasonable showcase for a filmmaker's talent.)

(Maybe this is just one of the reasons why so many of these films were so lame?)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: the sprintnow thingy, post-hope

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Well, our disappointment started really early when we realized that it was just a big "Facebook popularity contest" and not a true competition on the quality of the films.

Sprint made no effort to advertise the contest or to bring the general public in to view the movies and rate them on their own merits. They expected 100% of the film's promotion to be done by the film makers themselves. No one here would have even known about the contest, or even how to find our movie, if we have not posted that link.

It is clear that this was a big viral marketing ploy by Sprint to get as many Facebook people to repost their links to as many people as possible. And it worked- Tens of thousands of people spread the Sprint logo across Facebook.

So, yes, we are disappointed that our film lost out to other films that were obviously, um, not as good. I won't go so far as to say we were the best, but I honestly think we should have been in the top 10- we just couldn't get the votes.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yeah, your film was clearly among the best... to begin with, anyhow, it was one of the few 'serious' ones.

Who were the people involved in making this, by the way?

As for everything else about the contest... I guess being hosted by Sprint and YouTube is probably not a good place for a serious film contest to start. ...And Michael Bay, honestly, is never really a good place for a serious film contest to end.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Evnissyen wrote:I guess being hosted by Sprint and YouTube is probably not a good place for a serious film contest to start. ...And Michael Bay, honestly, is never really a good place for a serious film contest to end.
Well said.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Evnissyen wrote:Who were the people involved in making this, by the way?
I did the camera work and the special effects.

The actors were my friend Myles and his son (most people think that was a little girl).
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Evnissyen wrote:Who were the people involved in making this, by the way?
I did the camera work and the special effects.

The actors were my friend Myles and his son (most people think that was a little girl).
I'm guilty of thinking that too. Sorry. :oops:

Anyway your film was great and I thought it you had the interesting factor, a bit of the funny factor, and you nailed the cute kid factor (which works big time in a lot of demographics). None of that mattered though because, as you already pointed out, it was nothing but a big facebook popularity contest.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

well BW u know what happened when u first posted the link every body on the forum voted the day after that most people voted and then only half and then some until the day come when nobody at all voted for ur film.
i can honestly tell u i voted every day 1 vote for 9 straight days.
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Actually, I watched the votes spike towards the end, not the other way around.