Happy Black Friday!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Happy Black Friday!

Post by CrazyBernie »

Who all's adventuring (or perhaps have already adventured 0_o) out into the madness?? What sort of insane, crazy deals have you gotten?? Personally, I think I'll wait for Cyber Monday to do any real shopping, but I'm thinking of heading out like I've done almost every year just to check out the craziness. :mrgreen:
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Happy Black Friday!

Post by Randomizer »

I'm staying at home. I made the mistake of venturing forth one year to forage for food.

It doesn't help that the drivers here were already insanely bad before texting. I've seen shaving while driving and one guy using his steering wheel to hold his clipboard as he wrote for a long time. Eating, talking and/or texting while drive is nothing.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I do ALL my shopping online. Haven't stepped into a mall for years.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Even food ?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well, I'm back from my foray into the wilds. I ended up buying an HP OfficeJet 6000 wireless printer. The reg. price was $119.99, and it was on sale for 59.99. My parents were still running on an old 970cse that my father used to use for desktop publishing (he'd have 3 of those suckers rolling at once). It works, but it's god-awful slow and is connected to the network via a wireless adapter that has to be plugged into a wired ethernet port to work properly (thus defeating the purpose). Plus the ink cartridges are becoming harder to find and I imagine the printer sucks some serious power out of the wall. In comparison, the OJ6000 spits out paper like it's on fire and works great via wireless. Eventually I'll hard wire it in since it has an ethernet jack and I want to get the network up to Wireless-N devices only. Did I mention it comes with the auto-duplex attachment?? My dad had to pay extra (and they cost $100 bucks at the time) for that on the 970's.

The only other item I grabbed was a 50 pack of dvd's for $6. The B&M deals are pretty much non-existent this year (not unlike last year). I realize the economy is in the tank, but it seems that rather than mark stuff down to move product (and create some stimulus), the stores are content to just have that 4 hour mad rush, then it's business as usual. Don't get me wrong, it was busy @ Best Buy - enough that I left without buying the gaming mouse-pad I had in my hand 'cause I didn't want to wait for the line - but it was also the last Friday in November and everyone had the day off.

I forsee a day where the B&M stores are coverted to small showrooms with large warehouses attached. People might come in to check out some products, but the majority of the business will involve online purchases where people just come in to pick stuff up or return it.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I do ALL my shopping online. Haven't stepped into a mall for years.
I do pretty much the same thing, except for groceries and those my son gets most of the time. I stop in after doctor visits to see what's new or get fresh produce. As for malls, I go once a year at Xmas time to see the sights and look for stocking stuffers or something I didn't know existed that would be great for a family member or a friend. Sort of impulse thing.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I like others do ALL my shopping online. Let other people trample each other while I munch on this Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich. Mmmmmm, toasty! 8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Joshua
Initiate

Post by Joshua »

Am I the only one who hates online shopping then? I dislike malls, but I hate online shopping even more. Me I like to see/feel/touch/smell, heck even taste the things I buy, yes even if it's a printer. And I like to talk to the pretty lady behind the desk too, an added bonus so to speak.
Sometimes it's necessary though, niche games like Eschalon would probably never make it to the gamestore shelves where I live.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Joshua wrote:Am I the only one who hates online shopping then? I dislike malls, but I hate online shopping even more. Me I like to see/feel/touch/smell, heck even taste the things I buy, yes even if it's a printer. And I like to talk to the pretty lady behind the desk too, an added bonus so to speak.
Sometimes it's necessary though, niche games like Eschalon would probably never make it to the gamestore shelves where I live.

In my younger days I liked going out to shop, meet people and such. Now that I'm older and in poor health I have to be careful who I meet and when. Can't afford to end up in the hospital again after catching a cold from someone and ending up with pneumonia. Sigh. Also, I have to be pushed in a wheelchair and the aisles are so close together and cluttered with stuff that shouldn't be in the aisles. I don't like the annoyance so go online with companies I've learned to trust over the years.

Oh, and I'd rather talk to a handsome young man than a girl..though my husband might object ! :mrgreen:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Every Black Friday, I head off to some popular store, position myself appropriately and hope that somebody knocks me down and tramples over me.

It never works. People are just way too polite.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

lol Evnissyen, heh...
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...