Etymology

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Ladez
Apprentice

Etymology

Post by Ladez »

I was wondering about the name Eschalon and whether or not theres any etymology behind it. So I tried googling a bit to see if I could find something, and the closest I found was the greek word eschatos/eschatē/eschaton, which basically means "last". So does this mean Eschalon is the "last world"? :p

Well, maybe it's just a coincidence, but interesting nonetheless ;)

Maybe BW could tell us if the name Eschalon actually means something or if he just came up with it? :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Etymology

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yes, the Greek word "eschaton" was considered when we named the series.

Also, while I encourage fans to pronounce the name any way they wish, here we pronounce it like the word "echelon" (esh-uh-lon), which means: "a level of command, authority, or rank."

The truth is the game world was originally (in the very early design stage) was not going to be called Eschalon, it was going to be called Thaermore. Thaermore was going to be the name of the world, not just the province where Book I takes place. For reasons befitting the then evolving story, we changed it to how it is now.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Etymology

Post by Painted Lady »

Jedi_Learner wrote:When Basilisk Games released Eschalon: Book I on CD it contained a folder with several screenshots of development from 2005 to 2007. One of these screenshots informs us that the game was originally called "A Riven Sky" and that this title was "derived from an aspect of the trilogy's storyline."

I wonder if this is still the case...
Ooooh, this is fun stuff. I bought Eschalon as a download and have never heard of "A Riven Sky." How interesting......

The first thing that pops to mind is the opening shot of "a ball of fire/comet" shooting across the sky. That would look to me like a possible space ship bringing certain aliens to Eschalon (and slicing the sky in the process). Hmmmmm.