The King is back !

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
ManusDei
Council Member

The King is back !

Post by ManusDei »

All hail the King, the King is back ! (and he doesn't have bubblegum anymore)

yep, it was announced in 1997, and today it's out, Duke Nukem Forever.

I havn't found reviews about it yet, don't even know if I shall buy it, but well, it's worth an announcement, isn't it ?

http://www.dukenukemforever.com
Arkos
Council Member

Re: The King is back !

Post by Arkos »

Jedi_Learner wrote:When I found out that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever forces you to use Steam I lost interest in the game. The people responsible for this decision can go fuck themselves.
That is the exact same reason I never played Fallout New Vegas.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

For what it's worth, this game is getting mediocre at best reviews pretty much across the board. I guess it wasn't worth the 14 year wait. :|
Will Pay For Cloth Map
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Green Man Gamer is selling digital copies of the game for $36.49
http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/act ... m-forever/

If you don't like the "DRM," you could always crack it ****after**** purchasing it (oooh, you so bad, CB!). Or wait for it to show up on Good Old Games... 'cause technically it's already an old game. ^_^

People giving it poor reviews had expectations that were far too high. For a take on the PC version of the game from a more laid back PC gamer who played the "original," take a peek at this review: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/10/duke- ... er-review/

I think that part of the problem is that Gearbox hyped the game up a bit too much. There wasn't much they could do with the game; it was basically finished when they got it. The only way they could have made it better would have been to just re-write the game from the ground up... which they should have but then the game wouldn't have been out for at least another couple of years. Better to just get it out there at this point. What they should do to give the Duke some real justice is re-make the game or make a sequel that properly incorporates new-age gameplay/engine (but not too new age) with old-school Duke-isms.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I got it. It's fairly good, not perfect.

The main thing is that it is entertaining to me. I am enjoying it. That's what gaming is about- not comparing it to everything else and just giving it a blanket judgement.

After all the hype it was bound to let some people down, but really, it is a fun game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

CrazyBernie wrote: If you don't like the "DRM," you could always crack it ****after**** purchasing it (oooh, you so bad, CB!).
That's what I always do, buy a legit copy then apply a No DVD crack. I don't know if that's legal or not but I don't see anything wrong with it and I'm not about to let any SecuROM or StarForce crap abuse my hardware. Then there was that short while when Ubisoft had their utterly ridiculous DRM when you had to be connected to the internet at all times when playing and if your connection got severed you got booted out of the game. Needless to say Ubisoft got a lot of backlash for that stunt and I personally avoided purchasing any of those titles.

@BW - I remember several reviews implying that Duke Nukem Forever was ridiculously buggy, the term "nearly unplayable" was thrown around in on of the reviews. I do believe that was pertaining to the XBOX360 version, how buggy is it on PC? (I'm assuming you have the PC version)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

sirdilznik wrote:@BW - I remember several reviews implying that Duke Nukem Forever was ridiculously buggy, the term "nearly unplayable" was thrown around in on of the reviews. I do believe that was pertaining to the XBOX360 version, how buggy is it on PC? (I'm assuming you have the PC version)
PC version for me. No bugs here. I've seen a couple graphic anomalies, but they are minor at best (like the sky flickered a few times). I've played half the game so far, no crashes or anything like that.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

sirdilznik wrote:
CrazyBernie wrote: That's what I always do, buy a legit copy then apply a No DVD crack. I don't know if that's legal or not but I don't see anything wrong with it and I'm not about to let any SecuROM or StarForce crap abuse my hardware.
Yep, it's illegal. Wacky laws, aren't they?
Ikzai
Initiate

Post by Ikzai »

Arkos wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:When I found out that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever forces you to use Steam I lost interest in the game. The people responsible for this decision can go fuck themselves.
That is the exact same reason I never played Fallout New Vegas.
Back when Steam came out I think everyone hated it. It was a terrible, terrible service. It was buggy, bad, had so many issues with it. Now? I have no problem with it. In fact I love having all my digital games in one area. I think most people really enjoy Steam over any other digital alternative.

I can understand not wanting to install it, I suppose but saying "**** that game! How dare they have it Steam only! I'll never pay for that ****!" is just ridiculous in my mind.
Sir Funk
Initiate

Post by Sir Funk »

I don't understand the problem with Steam.

It's light, unobtrusive, and is a great way to ensure being able to have your games for many years even if you lose your discs.

Personally, I go out of my way to buy games off of Steam to the exclusion of all other venues. I am even willing to pay more to get a game on Steam so I can make use of the service more.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I don't mind using Steam and Impulse since they are less restrictive, but depending on the game I'll crack it after buying it just so I don't have to deal with the DRM aspect. However, if you lose your account information or Steam shuts down tomorrow, you're out of luck... 'cause there's no media to install the game from at that point.

Personally, I think Jedi's opinion on the matter is a tad extreme, but he's definitely entitled to it and I totally respect where he's coming from. Any way you slice it, DRM is DRM, no matter how unobtrusive. The only real way to speak out against it is to not buy any games that use DRM. Unfortunately, my desire to play a game often overcomes the lesser of DRM schemes. >.>

Right now the best place to buy games without DRM is Good Old Games (imho, of course) , but they're limited to older titles... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

CrazyBernie wrote:Right now the best place to buy games without DRM is Good Old Games (imho, of course) , but they're limited to older titles... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
In deed.
MrPeterDrucker
Pledge

Post by MrPeterDrucker »

I got it. Its Great :) :)