Yet Another Humble Indie Bundle

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Yet Another Humble Indie Bundle

Post by sirdilznik »

Another Humble Bundle has surfaced. The misleadingly named Humble Indie Bundle 3 (it's actually the 4th bundle) is now available. It features physics puzzle type games. The titles included are Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerfight, and And Yet it Moves. I own And Yet it Moves and can attest to the fact that it's a great and thoroughly fun game. As usual part of the money goes to charity and you can decide how the pie is split. All games work on Windows, Mac, and Linux. I'll be getting in on this as I always do. It's for a good cause, you decide what you pay (don't be stingy), and you get a bunch of games.

The only down side is, no Eschalon :evil:

Anyway, here's the site:

http://www.humblebundle.com/
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Ikzai
Initiate

Re: Yet Another Humble Indie Bundle

Post by Ikzai »

Maybe next time. /: I know for one Eschalon would probably generate more wonder than Cogs. (But maybe that's my absolute hatred for sliding puzzles.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'll say it again: keep pestering the Humble people!! We'd love to be part of the next Bundle and we'll put in some cool extras. We just need to convince them.

Click it: contact@humblebundle.com
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I was thinking of buying this humble bundle but have never heard of the games. Are they all puzzle type?. Don't care for puzzles. What about the "and yet it moves" you recommended, what type is it? Will see if I can contact them to badger them about Eschalon too.
Ikzai
Initiate

Post by Ikzai »

And Yet It Moves is a fun ... hmmm... platformer. In it you can control the orientation of the world around you. It makes for a very interesting game.

Another great game included is VVVVVV which is a ridiculously fun, albeit difficult platformer. The gameplay mechanics are continuously switched up due to the different environments you will visit. It's A+.

Crayon Physics Deluxe is a fun and cute physics game in which you are a crayon, drawing lines for your ball to reach the golden star.

I don't really care much for Hammerfight or Cogs, but overall I'd definitely get this. Not only is it for charity, but hell, five games, most of which are really good.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Shoulda called this one "The Humble Physics Bundle".... every game is a puzzle/platformer with some sort of physics twist.

I'd be interested in seeing The Humble Bundle Inc's financials. Assuming that the majority of purchasers went with the default split, THBI has raked in $750,000 in a little over a year. That combined with the nearly $5 million recently invested into the company... I'd say Rosen's sitting pretty on this business model.

Also, it definitely looks like he's cherry-picking games for maximum sales. It seems like a couple games that were already hit sellers are chosen, then possibly some that are less known/popular but have good entertainment potential.

I suppose you can't fault the guy for running a business like a business, even if there's charity involved. However, it's a shame that not just anyone can join in on the "fun."
Bernoulli
Initiate

Post by Bernoulli »

Yep, VVVVVV is worth a $5 donation just for the soundtrack alone. It's a bit short (~3 hours).

AYIM has some clever ideas. It's pretty fun, but it's even shorter than VVVVVV.

I haven't played the other 3.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I ordered the humble bundle and only paid $25. for it, unfortunately I could only install one of the games (the worst one). The problem is my software I'm sure as I could not open any of the folders. Oh well, the money went to a good cause. I just have to be careful and not buy a pig in a poke from now on. In other words, don't pay until I see the product.
Mod
Apprentice

Post by Mod »

Heh, they just keep adding games... Paid for five and now i get like 12.
Juan Carlo
Pledge

Post by Juan Carlo »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I'll say it again: keep pestering the Humble people!! We'd love to be part of the next Bundle and we'll put in some cool extras. We just need to convince them.

Click it: contact@humblebundle.com
I suspect they are reluctant because they don't want to release a dedicated RPG humble bundle because they think it would flop and tarnish their brand.

Which I think is BS.

I don't think an RPG bundle would sell the 2 million dollars worth that Humble Bundle 3 did, but it would certainly do as well as the (rather lackluster, in my estimation) Frozenbyte bundle they did.

But even if they don't want to sell an RPG dedicated bundle, I don't see why they wouldn't want to include 1 RPG game in one of their usual bundles.

Who, for example, bought Humble Bundle 3 just to get Cogs? Cogs is a really kind of a boring and imaginatively uninspired game. I had never even heard of it before Humble Bundle 3 and after playing it I immediately forgot it. So I can't imagine that including Eschalon 1 (or something from Spiderweb games, to name another indie RPG example) would be any worse for them than including something like Cogs. I actually think more people would get excited by the inclusion of an RPG just because it would demonstrate greater genre diversity and reach out to a much larger demographic of customers.

Plus, if they are really dedicated to indie gaming it kind of goes against their stated purpose to not include an RPG. Heck, Spiderweb games practically invented independent gaming before indie games were even cool. So it sucks that they refuse to recognize indie RPGs.