XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Post by sirdilznik »

So Firaxis Games, maker of amazing strategy games such as Alpha Centauri an the Civilization series, is making a reimagining of one of the greatest PC games ever made, the original XCOM. And no this is not that other XCOM game where they decided that the best way to pay homage to the classic is to turn it into a FPS, like every other ****ing game being made these days, this is a bona fide, tactical, turn-based, squad-based strategy game like the original. Anyway the first gameplay/developer commentary video is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uHHmTSDCvA

Now whenever a beloved classic gets "reimagined" I get scared that too much will be changed, the game will not be able to live up to the lofty standard set by the original, or that they'll simply **** it up. After having watched the video I was blown away. I pretty much popped wood. Holy ****, it looks like Firaxis is doing everything right! This new game may actually live up to the glorious standard of the original and be a worthy reimagining. Good lord I hope this game winds up being as good as it looks and sounds. :mrgreen:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
severian
Senior Steward

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Post by severian »

nope. I don`t think so.
it saddens me, that developers kept thinking of players as morons, unable to make very basic tactical decisions.

instead of superb TUs/energy solution, they propose utterly ridiculous "walk or shoot".

so I will rather stay with the original TEU and TFTD, looking out for some decent clones with no fd-up gameplay and game mechanics.
Rotnefson
Initiate

Post by Rotnefson »

I played through the original very recently (first time I actually made it to the end) so I'm quite happy to see something new coming up.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Release date has been revealed: October 9th

That gives me some time to let my aching wallet recover. *shakes fist at Kickstarter* Not sure if I will get this day 1, but I'm almost certainly going to get this game eventually as the original was so fantastic.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I never played the first Xcom but this version seems to be right up my alley. I love the idea behind the "glam cam".
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Here's a brand new video focusing on base building:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 88EcjtDnyE#!

Man, I'm so excited for this game. It's going to be freakin' awesome! :mrgreen:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Rotnefson
Initiate

Post by Rotnefson »

A demo is available at steam. I have to say I'm disappointed. Too much holding hand, and the mission in the demo was very tightly scripted. I didn't really like the artistical style either. It seemed primarily a console game.

Some hope still exists. The demo was really short and did not really include any base / team management, but I will be reading the reviews very closely before buying this.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Rotnefson wrote:A demo is available at steam. I have to say I'm disappointed. Too much holding hand, and the mission in the demo was very tightly scripted. I didn't really like the artistical style either. It seemed primarily a console game.

Some hope still exists. The demo was really short and did not really include any base / team management, but I will be reading the reviews very closely before buying this.
Thanks for your comments but what do you mean by "holding hand"? What about the artistical style don't you like? and finally what elements do you think makes it a console game? Just curious. Thanks.
Rotnefson
Initiate

Post by Rotnefson »

Well. The demo starts with a tutorial mission which basicly forces you to move and shoot exactly as instructed which is quite frustrating since you can't skip it. You can move moer freely in the second half of the demo. The art style is a bit too cartoonish to my taste, although that has been the case in all the Xcom games. The important part is the gameplay, which seems simplified. For an example, action points are gone and replaced with "move or shoot" type of choices, probably to appeal to younger generations and the console market. I also got the impression from the demo that soldier's personal inventory is gone. Like I said, it can still be a good game, just not based on the demo.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thanks Rotnefson, That sure sounds like a poor demo. I will hold off buying for now, thanks again.