Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

This is getting more impressive by the moment! I can't believe anyone ever thought that the market for TB RPGs was ever done. Clearly there is a demand. Silly game production studios.

[Warning: Semi-shameless plug to follow]

While you're donating to Wasteland 2 - and if you have a spare couple of bucks for a good cause - stop over at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cha ... e-film-cas

I wrote that script, and the project has been years in the making. Even five bucks or sharing the link on facebook would be a HUGE help, and highly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I've never even played the first one. It's not at GOG.com. Anyone have any idea where I might find it?
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Arkos wrote:I've never even played the first one. It's not at GOG.com. Anyone have any idea where I might find it?
You can find it at Abandonia. I have no idea of the legality of that site and how and when a title becomes abandonware, but it's there.

Anyway, they're at 1.57 M right now so Mac & Linux versions are a go! :mrgreen: I'm also going to support the Tex Murphy Kickstarter that's going to start May 15th. Tex freakin' Murphy, love me some Tex Murphy!
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Obsidian has offered some help with Wasteland 2 if the kickstarter reaches 2.1 million (it's currently at $1,706,401):
We have announced a major piece of good news today that inXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game! It is important to note that we say "potential" as they will come aboard assuming we hit $2.1 million in funding. The good news is that we have already seen a spike in just the few hours since this was announced in a press release this morning.

For those of you who don't know who Obsidian or Chris Avellone are, they are the bulk of the brains who worked on Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment when I was back at Interplay. More of the band is back together to make sure we bring you a fantastic RPG. Chris is going to help push the density and literary content of the game.

The original Wasteland was an important game to Chris as he recently stated, "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual predecessor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

That’s more good news for all of you that put your faith in us.

Brian Fargo
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I've cancelled my pledge. The "social" comments were bad enough but wanting help from Chris Avellone and Obsidian Entertainment? I won't support such a thing. They are nothing but poison.
What's wrong with getting a helping hand from Obsidian? They won't be doing any of the programming, just lending some tools and Chris Avellone will be helping with the story. I generally enjoy most of Obsidian's games, minus the bugs. My thought is that the more folks that worked on the original 2 Fallout games that get in on this project the better.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

From the rate at which the donations have increased it seems that more people trust a Fargo/Avellone collaboration than not.

Just considering the move from a business standpoint it really shows how good Fargo is at raising money. I hope he is equally good at project management. Obsidian and Avellone has good stuff to offer if handled wisely.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Im fine with obsidian being involved. Kotor 2 was a decent enough game, Nwn 2 was pretty ok but i would have had more fun with it back in the day if i had a pc that could have played it better, FO nv is argueably a better game than FO3 and pretty damn good according to most ppl who play it.

So yeah, im down with some ppl at Obisidian being involved.

as far as bugged games, i cant name ONE that hasnt been bugged in the last 10 years or so.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

blatherbeard wrote:Im fine with obsidian being involved. Kotor 2 was a decent enough game, Nwn 2 was pretty ok but i would have had more fun with it back in the day if i had a pc that could have played it better, FO nv is argueably a better game than FO3 and pretty damn good according to most ppl who play it.

So yeah, im down with some ppl at Obisidian being involved.

as far as bugged games, i cant name ONE that hasnt been bugged in the last 10 years or so.
Agreed. Since Obsidian isn't doing any actual programming I'm not worried about the game being infected by Obsidian's infamous bugginess. Besides which bugs get fixed eventually.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was really bug infested at launch and had super steep system requirements for the time, but once the bugs got fixed and assuming you have a computer that can handle it, it's a really really good game.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 was a good game, not as good as the first but still a good game.

Dungeon Siege 3 is often the Obsidian game that gets slammed the hardest by people because it threw everything that made the first two DS games out the window in favor of a more story-focused approach. I'm actually playing this game right now (well not this second). If you just take the game for what it is (i.e. NOT a Dungeon Siege game), it's actually a relatively good game. I really enjoy the stance switching mechanic for fighting single enemies or groups. The story is good and the combat is very satisfying. On the down side, the multiplayer is pretty much worthless, which is a bummer.

Fallout: New Vegas in my opinion is a great game, significantly better than Fallout 3. I just feel it captures the feel, nuances, and quirks of the first two Fallout games better than Fallout 3, which tells me that some of the soul of Black Isle still lives inside Obsidian.

Alpha Protocol is to me both a good game and a bitter disappointment. It's a game I think is good and I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's a disappointment because it could have been absolutely brilliant and fell short of that due to sub-par shooter mechanics and inconsistent stealth mechanics. Still the story is great and the conversation system is absolutely brilliant.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I agree with the point that Obsidian/Avellone has done nothing for the old school TB gamer. But the same thing can be said for Fargo/Inxile.

If I am allowing Fargo to use the "It's all the publisher's fault" excuse, I'll give Avellone the same leeway.

If I am willing to trust Fargo to use Inxile's resources to make an old school TB game, I don't see why I shouldn't trust him to use some of Obsidian's resources as well.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

HOly heck, 2 mil? thats impressive.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.