Forum Inactivity

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Forum Inactivity

Post by Lord_P »

This forum keeps passing out. Today the only real activity here was a massive spambot invasion. I know that discussion doesn't start from nothing, but it's still sad.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Forum Inactivity

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Lord_P wrote:This forum keeps passing out. Today the only real activity here was a massive spambot invasion. I know that discussion doesn't start from nothing, but it's still sad.
That's mostly because our last game is over 2 years old. Since this forum is dedicated to our games, and we haven't released anything new for a while, many visitors are dormant. They probably stop by from time to time and see what's new, but they don't post as much.

Case in point, as I write this it says we have 26 people online right now. Those are unregistered visitors, or forum users who have not logged in, who are just browsing.

Also, Social Media has changed the way people use traditional forums as well. Many fans like to chat through Facebook and/or Twitter now. Some people even prefer to just leave comments on the front page instead of going through the hassle of registering to post in the forums.

In summery...yes, the forums are quiet right now. It's kind of like Hogwarts during the summer months, quiet and empty. But when school begins (Book III's release) it will undoubtedly be full of life once more.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: It's kind of like Hogwarts during the summer months, quiet and empty. But when school begins (Book III's release) it will undoubtedly be full of life once more.
Any hope of an announcement in the near future?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

There's also still a surprising level of activity on the wiki I set up (http://eschalon.wikia.com/). I haven't touched it much lately, but I get emails about edits almost every week.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote: It's kind of like Hogwarts during the summer months, quiet and empty. But when school begins (Book III's release) it will undoubtedly be full of life once more.
Any hope of an announcement in the near future?
BW did announce an upcoming announcement on his Twitter feed. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I pop in once a day, at least. Not too much I can comment on other than to alert for spammers. :)

Just saw the wiki link for the first time. Nice! Great work and pics!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Is it because everyone's already beat book 2 and 1 enough times? Im still fighting through book 1 and i still think Im going back to book 1 and beat it again before i play book 3 :)
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Is it because everyone's already beat book 2 and 1 enough times?...
Yes. And/or distracted by other interests. On my end, I've been heavy into genealogy as my hobby over the last year, and so haven't had as much time for Eschalon. And I had (new) work stuff I had to deal with in the Spring. And I've had to travel. And I'm going to have to move soon. Etc.

Also, I've completed the most recent versions of the all-inclusive 'bugs' lists for Books I & II for BW, and BW shut down the Book III 'wishlist', so I'm mostly "all caught up" on all things Eschalon.

About the only things left on my end are to try the remaining 'expansion' mods (besides JL's, which I have done), and maybe finish off Fathamurk. But I'm in no hurry to get to those, and that'll likely wait until after Book III comes out.

That said, I will definitely be posting here when BW gets around to posting the Book III 'features set' list to comment on what did, and didn't, make it in to Book III from the 'wishlist'... ;)
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I never finished book 2, so i restarted book 1. o.O

Ive been distracted by "other games"

but i come here daily to read about whatever.

Book 3 and Malevolence(because i will be IN IT) i am soooo waiting for.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
escalon
Pledge

Post by escalon »

I think that also a lack of game promotions and packs contribute to this silence. I heard of the game via a friend who recommended it to me, but if no one can find it no one will talk about it.
excessive gaming in the land of jocurile.us or having fun on here
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

escalon wrote:I heard of the game via a friend who recommended it to me, but if no one can find it no one will talk about it.
Word-of-mouth is our best form of advertisement. We've spent over $5000 on advertising in the past two years with very little return on that investment. However, when someone takes the time to mention our games on Facebook, Twitter, other forums or social hubs like Reddit, we often see a nice spike in sales.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I hope someone 'well-known' posts a video in YouTube of Book III when it comes out. That is also a good way to advertise, for many channels there have well over 100 000 subscribers. Eschalon is too good to miss!
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

One thing that I think would help would be if you got a well known let's player to play through one or both of the currently out games. Someone along the lines of HCBaily or the like. Someone who's living is making Let's plays.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

leshpar, that's what I suggested in the post above yours.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

Durp. I'm sorry. I somehow missed that one.