reminds me of an old game

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
leshpar
Marshall

reminds me of an old game

Post by leshpar »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211070/

I don't know if this game is actually basically a recreation of the games that taught me how to play chess when I was a kid, but it sure looks like a more modernized version of them.

I've always had a PC at home from the day I was born. I feel lucky in that aspect since computers didn't become something everyone had till nearly 20 years later. And, hell, even today I talk to some people who don't have a computer at home (seriously, how do you survive if you don't have a computer today? lol).

The point of this is that when I was a young kid I learned how to play chess with Battle Chess and its sequel Chinese Battle Chess. These games were awesome back in the day and if anyone knows about Check vs Mate let me know what you do. I'd love to hear more about it. I'll add this game to my wishlist, but, to be honest, a chess game is quite low on my priorities at the moment.

I figured I'd share my find and my story. Enjoy!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: reminds me of an old game

Post by deathknight1728 »

Interesting. I always loved playing chess and even today it is still a very fun game to play with someone of equal skill. It really sucks though when you play against someone that is just really really good, you can't even get a chance to take a piece.

By the way, chess also helped to somewhat derive turn based roleplaying games I'm sure.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

That doesn't surprise me, as it really was the first role playing game in a sense.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Whats funny about chess is when I used to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a chinese epic novel) that is mostly based on fact. In the novel sometimes (some 1900 years ago) people would wander around the countryside with nothing but a small keg of wine, hoping to find a wandering soul to play a good game of chess with. Naturally, it was funny in the novel as some of the guys would play for days and then, just like that, depart and never see that person again.

Hopefully, somewhere nice in the world, that might be able to happen again :mrgreen:

But I mostly doubt it.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum