Registration temporarily disabled

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Registration temporarily disabled

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We've temporarily disabled new registrations due to a large wave of SPAM bots that have bombarded our forums in the past 24 hours.

We will enable registrations again very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: Registration temporarily disabled

Post by ManusDei »

It's fine, I registered a few years ago already :p
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Ok, we're going to reopen registration again. You bots be good or we'l close it back up for the rest of the week! :Insert emoticon of parent scolding child:
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

another one already reported :evil:
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:We've temporarily disabled new registrations due to a large wave of SPAM bots that have bombarded our forums in the past 24 hours.

We will enable registrations again very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
BW - have you thought about putting either a 24-hour or a 1-week "hold" on new registrants to prevent them from posting during this "probationary" period?

I think even a 24-hour new registrant "hold" period for posting would cut down on the 'bot' problem.

Just a thought...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Not a bad idea, IJBall, but I just solved our SPAM problems forever. I simply made it so that I have to approve of all new registrations. As I get requests, I can just ignore accounts that are obviously bots.

It might sound like a lot of work to approve of each new registration, but it's not going to be any more (and probably less) work than cleaning up the forums when a spammer has dropped a bunch of posts.

The only problem is possibly ignoring a request from a real human, but I will do my best to not let that happen. If anyone thinks their registration request has been ignored, please email me.

And with that, I am going to lock this thread so this final message doesn't get buried. 8)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh, how naive I was. I woke up today with 200+ registration requests, and trying to sort out 1%-2% of legitimate users from that pile is too much work.

So, we'll go back to the old way. You guys report when someone SPAMs and I'll nuke the account.

Also, new rule: I will regularly nuke all new accounts with ZERO posts. There are some people who register just to get announcements, or to reserve a username. That's okay to do, but from now on drop a quick post to prove that you are human, and that you are here for good and not evil. Our other users are pretty good at figuring out who is human and who is not, so if they target you as SPAM, sorry.

As long as you have at least 1 legitimate post, you will not get deleted in our regular cleaning cycle.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't know how comfortable you'd be with this, but I imagine you could recruit some of the forum veterans to act as moderators, with power to delete posts and ban users and instructions to only use it on obvious spammers.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:I don't know how comfortable you'd be with this, but I imagine you could recruit some of the forum veterans to act as moderators, with power to delete posts and ban users and instructions to only use it on obvious spammers.
I still suspect the "best" solution is to institute the 24-hour wait period before allowing someone to post after registering. I dunno if this would completely solve the 'bot' issue, but I suspect it would cut the problem down to a smaller size.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

SpottedShroom wrote:I don't know how comfortable you'd be with this, but I imagine you could recruit some of the forum veterans to act as moderators, with power to delete posts and ban users and instructions to only use it on obvious spammers.
This might not be a bad idea. It would take a load off of BW's shoulders so he could spend more time doing what only he can do - write Book III.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:I still suspect the "best" solution is to institute the 24-hour wait period before allowing someone to post after registering. I dunno if this would completely solve the 'bot' issue, but I suspect it would cut the problem down to a smaller size.
Perhaps. I don't see such an option in our forum software. I'll dig a little deeper.

Until then, registration is closed again. I don't know why, but we are getting BOMBARDED with spam, and it is all coming from Russia this time. I will likely need to put up IP blocks for that country as well. :(
Kilvain
Pledge

Post by Kilvain »

I am human, and I hate spam! Hopefully, you can find a convenient way to eliminate the spam bots that doesn't break the bank or require a team of fifteen ninjas guarding the place.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spambots are getting more intelligent to mimic humans. There is one that posts a seemly useful question and then hits a few days later with a new account with the spam links. Another uses quoted text from an earlier post in a topic.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Also, new rule: I will regularly nuke all new accounts with ZERO posts. There are some people who register just to get announcements, or to reserve a username. That's okay to do, but from now on drop a quick post to prove that you are human, and that you are here for good and not evil. Our other users are pretty good at figuring out who is human and who is not, so if they target you as SPAM, sorry.

As long as you have at least 1 legitimate post, you will not get deleted in our regular cleaning cycle.
Hey, BW, have you cleaned out the "zero post" accounts yet?

I ask because we currently have about 3400 accounts on this board, and I'm just wondering how many of them are "real" paying customers... ;)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I didn't know you had to be a paying customer. :?

But luckily I am! :lol: