Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Post by Painted Lady »

I just noticed that Baldur's Gate is allowing pre-loads for Windows now. Apparently, the PC version will be formally available on November 28th. The site still claims that the iPad and Mac versions will be available this month as well. We shall see......
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Cool! I am anxious to hear what you guys think of it. I've played the original BG enough times that it will need to be a big enhancement for me to buy it again and play it again.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I'm holding out for the iPad version. I played the original about 30-40% of the way through, so I ought to be able to give some sort of review after a bit.

BTW, I would much rather be playing Book III, but this will do as a stop gap measure :lol:
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'm waiting to see if a Linux version becomes a reality, that would almost certainly be enough for me to slap down the dough and scoop it up. From what I've heard it's mostly an issue with getting Wizards of the Coast to sign off on it, rather than a technical issue.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sirdilznik wrote:I'm waiting to see if a Linux version becomes a reality, that would almost certainly be enough for me to slap down the dough and scoop it up. From what I've heard it's mostly an issue with getting Wizards of the Coast to sign off on it, rather than a technical issue.
I never actually played through Baldur's Gate, since I was 100% Linux by the time it came out. I would love a Linux version so much.

There's a Linux version of Neverwinter Nights, but for some reason I was never really able to get into it.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

My son asked me if I wanted it for a Xmas present. I wasn't sure. Is it as good as folks say? (the older version that is). Do you have to follow a set path or can you go where you want to?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I don't really know because I haven't played it much (then why are you posting, Lord_P? :P ), but it's kind of like in Eschalon. You can go wherever you want but to really get somewhere you need to follow the path.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

There are a ton of walk-throughs out on the net for Baldur's Gate. I'll bet they are still relevant for the new edition.

Also, I thought it was kind of interesting that the iPad version is $10 while the PC and Mac versions are $20. From what I can tell, some of the things that come standard for $20 are in-game add-ons with the iPad.

Makes sense that the iPad crowd is pretty picky about price. So, they can pay extra to get the full experience, or can settle for the stripped down version if they choose. Interesting marketing idea........
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Dragonlady wrote:My son asked me if I wanted it for a Xmas present. I wasn't sure. Is it as good as folks say? (the older version that is). Do you have to follow a set path or can you go where you want to?
If you have never played the original, id say go for it.

It wasnt a game for me, i hate party based games, and even i had a hell of a lot of fun with it. So much so ive rebought the series on gog. and ive never even finished the original storyline lol
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I replayed BG2 and completed it 6 times. I made over 200 characters that I never finished the game with. My idea is that BG1 is my favorite because its a lot smaller in lvl. When you get to bg2, your characters are about so powerful its almost too ridiculous. Plus Sarevok was a cooler bad guy, and a much harder one too. Everything was cooler in 1, the forests, the outdoors. I didn't like bg2 with the towns and cities. Im more into the wilderness aspect.

Bg1 I only completed once, a solo no party dual class fighter/thief. There's only one other game series that I like as much (gene forge) and that one I have mixed feelings over, having only completed g1.

I would say to any one that hasn't played the game and wants to know if its their thing. Make any character you want, get 3 more characters/npcs and make a team of 4. You will enjoy the game much more. Your fighters will be higher lvl, which counts, your priests will have higher/more spells as will mages, and everything will be much more easy to handle.

If its not your thing, then w/e. But don't think that you HAVE to make a party of 6. Also, try pairing up some neutral or good and evil, makes the game interesting :mrgreen:
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

deathknight1728 wrote: Bg1 I only completed once, a solo no party dual class fighter/thief. There's only one other game series that I like as much (gene forge) and that one I have mixed feelings over, having only completed g1.

I would say to any one that hasn't played the game and wants to know if its their thing. Make any character you want, get 3 more characters/npcs and make a team of 4. You will enjoy the game much more. Your fighters will be higher lvl, which counts, your priests will have higher/more spells as will mages, and everything will be much more easy to handle.
I'm like you in preferring a solo character. Also, I've played all 5 of the Geneforge games - always as an Agent so I could be solo.

How few people do you think you get by with for a first run-through in Baldur's Gate? Would a party of 2 or 3 work?
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Painted Lady wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote: Bg1 I only completed once, a solo no party dual class fighter/thief. There's only one other game series that I like as much (gene forge) and that one I have mixed feelings over, having only completed g1.

I'm like you in preferring a solo character. Also, I've played all 5 of the Geneforge games - always as an Agent so I could be solo.

How few people do you think you get by with for a first run-through in Baldur's Gate? Would a party of 2 or 3 work?
A party of 2 in bg1 is somewhat risky. A party of 3 or 4 is really what you want. Remember the basics, at least 1 primary fighter, 1 backup fighter, and 1 priest or mage spell caster. There's a neutral priest somewhat early in game near nashkel who you need to cast a stone skin spell on, she is a somewhat strong priest who can hold her own and still has good wisdom and priest skills. I usually use her as a backup fighter and priest, then I either make my main guy the fighter or get another fighter, minsc or Kivan does well here and can be had early. If I am not a fighter, I have 1 character (preferably a thief) who can snipe enemies with a bow/crossbow. That job I usually leave to my main character as it is more fun to lure enemies to my party.

Remember one thing about Baldurs Gate1. This game has ranged weapons rocking the house. You can equip members of the party with bows and take down 2-4 enemies before melee closes. It gets even better when you get better bows/weapons.

The only other game Ive played where ranged weapons were ridiculously powerful like this was Avadon, and thats a great game too. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, this is one of my favorite games and if I can't help, game banshee has a detailed bg1 guide for it.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

deathknight1728 wrote:Remember one thing about Baldurs Gate1. This game has ranged weapons rocking the house. You can equip members of the party with bows and take down 2-4 enemies before melee closes. It gets even better when you get better bows/weapons.
Unfortunately, also works the other way. Those kobolds in Nashkel mine practically one-shotted my main character with bows.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just noticed that I started this thread in the General Chat section, rather than in the RPG section. My bad....

Anyway, it looks like it will be a while before the OS and iOs versions of BG:EE are going to be available. Apparently there are tons of problems with the PC version. Those need to be fixed before the games can be sent to Apple for approval. Hopefully this won't take too long because it takes a couple of weeks for Apple to vet a game.

The forums indicated that there wasn't much of a beta for the PC version, and that led to many problems. The thinking is that they needed to get some money in the door so they shorted the testing process.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:The forums indicated that there wasn't much of a beta for the PC version, and that led to many problems. The thinking is that they needed to get some money in the door so they shorted the testing process.
Or they're working on the Microsoft model, that version 1 of any release is a paid beta on the principle that first adopters are your best beta testers. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.