Steam and Linux

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
leshpar
Marshall

Steam and Linux

Post by leshpar »

Hi, just today I installed steam on my laptop which runs Kubuntu 12.04 and I noticed it doesn't list Echalon as being compatible. I know you have Linux compatible versions of them available, so please let steam know so that I can download them on my laptop and play them on the go as well. Thanks!

I really don't think I should have to buy them again just to play them on my laptop. It would totally be worth it though if I have to, I just didn't want to have to buy the same game 2 times.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Steam and Linux

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We're working on the Linux version now.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I apologize, I was under the impression the linux version of 1 and 2 were already complete. Sorry! Keep up the great work! I guarantee I'll be buying 3 the day it comes out on my windows computer ^_^.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

The Linux versions are out. I think BW means he's working with Steam to make the Linux versions available there.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I didn't think I was completely crazy in posting this. ^_^ Thanks.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I just installed the Steam Linux Beta myself. Officially it's only supported for Ubuntu 12.04, but , as usual, repos are already out for Fedora so I was able to install it super quick and simple on my Fedora 18 setup. It installed, fired up, updated itself and everything is a go so far. I'm currently downloading the Team Fortress 2 Beta to try it out. The only other game I currently have on Steam that has Linux support is Trine 2, which I will download once TF2 finishes.

8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I have dungeons of dredmor (which I downloaded and it works great!) and FTL, but there seems to be a bug with FTL where it won't download. I'll try again tonight when I get to work.

Since Kubuntu is the KDE version of Ubuntu (I really dislike the standard UI environment Ubuntu comes with and I am far more familiar with KDE than gnome or whatever its called they are using now) I had no issues with steam installing. debian files rock.

I was really surprised to find out that Serious Sam 3 is also supported in Linux. My laptop doesn't have the graphics to play that though heh.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I've been running Steam Linux Beta for a while now and it's been a great experience. Initially I couldn't get anything running but that was due to issues with my graphics drivers. What had happened was that I was running Fedora 18 x86_64 Beta and the 3rd party repo supplied Catalyst driver didn't install 32-bit libs. One of the pitfalls of running a Beta OS (it's been released since) is that snafus like this happen. I filed a bug report, it got fixed right quick, and everything has been smooth sailing since. I've played Team Fortress 2 Beta, Trine 2, The Journey Down: Chapter One, and Serious Sam 3: BFE. All games run fine, auto-update, the client auto-updates, the store works fine, basically it runs just like it does on Windows (and I imagine Mac too). I can't comment on Big Picture Mode, haven't tried it yet.

Knowing Valve and their "it will be ready when it's ready" approach, this will stay in Beta for a good while longer, but it's pretty much ready to rock and roll right now, for me at least.
8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Steam is having a Linux celebration (Linux-a-bration? Celebratiux?) with a mountain load of Steam Linux games deeply discounted until Feb. 21st.

/scoops up Serious Sam 3: BFE Jewel of the Nile DLC for $1.99
//reloads AS-24 Devastator
Will Pay For Cloth Map
theli
Initiate

Post by theli »

Any news on this?
Would love to play EB on Linux via Steam (as its the only place I have them :( )
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It is coming. We are working on a few issues- nothing critical, we are just lacking the time to do everything that needs to be done.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:It is coming. We are working on a few issues- nothing critical, we are just lacking the time to do everything that needs to be done.
Hopefully you have it all sorted out by the time Book III arrives, but work on the game itself obviously needs to take priority.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
theli
Initiate

Post by theli »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:It is coming. We are working on a few issues- nothing critical, we are just lacking the time to do everything that needs to be done.
Thanks! Nice to know. Looking forward to it :)