Minecraft server?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Minecraft server?

Post by Vroqren »

Minecraft 1.7 is going to be officially released on Friday, October 25th.
I will be working on the spawn for the first bit of the new world, before I let anyone else onto the server. As soon as I'm done with he spawn though, feel free to build your house in the spawn village. If we build the Eschalon world it will be on a separate map in creative mode.
The 1.7 update notes can be found here.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

1.7 is out.

Are you going to overwrite the old world? Or is it a new world entirely?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

HOpefully we'll get an entirely new world (so we can get the new biomes w/o going thousands and thousands of blocks out. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a program that allows you to view a world purely by inputing a seed, as I'm trying to find just the right world (Good, necessary biomes nearby).

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

So I spent a whole bunch of entering different seeds into the world generator, looking at what world they created. I started with significant buildings from Eschalon, and when I ran out of those, I looked through the continents of Eschalon. Only two were really impressive, so I didn't delete those worlds when I went to the next one. This turned out to be a good thing.
As it turns out, minecraft seeds can only be numbers. Do deal with letters in a custom seed, minecraft world generation has an imprecise formula for converting every letter in a given seed into a number. This means that whatever I entered before, is probably impossible to obtain again. So, I only have my two favorites (Which I can obtain the actual seeds from if we decide on either).

The first was while I was attempting to get the seed: Shadowmirk
This created a world that has the spawn of in my personal favorite biome. I'm not an overly huge fan of how it looks, but the Clay Mesa biomes are awesome. It's an easy and quick way to get lots of Hardened clay, a favorite building material of mine. The spawn is on a cliff overlooking a small area below, that I liked. There are trees on the plateaus atop the mountains.

I found the second world while looking for: Undergroundrepository
The world created by minecraft's interpretation of this seed is incredible. The spawn is right in the middle of two biomes: Desert and Savannah. The savannah biome has a new kind of tree, along with some really awesome mountains.

I'll post some pictures of each, let me know which you guys would prefer to use for our spawn village, or if neither are really your style.

Savannah Biome (The desert is behind me in this picture):
Mesa Biome:

(Keep in mind this is just the biome for the spawn village. Every other biome will still be available somewhere in the map, I just don't know how far away it's going to be)

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Those mountains really do look awesome.

How far does the mesa biome go before ending?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The mesa biomes is huge. Two of the sides have swamps, and I couldn't even find the other two sides of the biome. This is both good and bad.
It's good because it's a practically endless supply of hardened clay, at no cost. Unfortunately, harvesting it would ruin the landscape around our spawn village.
It's so big though, that I worry we would never be able to find a plains biome with horses and such.
EDIT: Turns out, Mesa biomes are extremely rare, so to have spawned in one (especially this big) is lucky. Let me know what you guys think.

The Savannah biome is also very large. Again, I found two of the sides, one being desert and the other being ocean. I also found a village nearby (I didn't take co-ords so that there's still some surprise).

I personally am leaning towards the savannah, at least for the spawn village, but I want to know what you guys think.

EDIT: Scratch this sentence, I found all four ends, so it's not as big as the mesa biome. There are two deserts, a plains, and an ocean surrounding the savannah.

llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Man both of those look good...I'm inclined to say the Savannah though, over the Mesa -- though I can understand your liking for the clay as building materials.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

That mountain looks good. I am siding with the savannah.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Savannah it is then. Now I only have one question:
Would you guys like me to find a new Savannah mountains biome, so that we have a completely unexplored seed, or just go with the same map I showed the screen shot of?

The company the server is hosted through has not yet updated for 1.7 support. As soon as it does, we'll get started!

llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

I'm OK with unexplored or the one shown above, honestly, since it'll all be new to me :)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Alright a found a seed with the spawn in a Savannah, and a very nearby mesa biome so we can have the pros of each without the cons of either. I found it online, and have only seen screenshots. Because I've never seen it in-game, there will be no spoilers for any of us!
Don't worry Lord P, there are some awesome mountains in this one too.

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

:lol:

Mountains are awesome!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The server is up and running! I would like to have a more spread out spawn town this time, so please build 50-100 blocks away from the spawn platform. The spawn platform is not complete yet, don't worry, it'll look a little better than it does now.

Feel free to join (I'll send all those white-listed a PM with the updated I.P.), and build wherever you like. Just know that one of the mountains in the savannah is claimed (I don't know which), and the largest of the nearby mountains in the mesa has been claimed. Please don't mine or build around these places.

llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Sweet, I'll probably pop on tonight! We going with survival peaceful? Or full on with mobs?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

(Sorry, I didn't send out the PM's yet)
The server is on normal difficulty, survival gamemode, and mobs are on. However, mob griefing is turned off. So creepers will not destroy blocks, endermen will not take blocks, and zombies will not break doors.

EDIT: I've finished the spawn, and taken the liberty of naming the server "Crius Vindica", as after all, it is the guild we're all part of.