Minecraft server?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Minecraft server?

Post by Lord_P »

Great news, I'll join when I can! Although Crusader Kings II has been taking my time lately...
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Haha - so I logged in last night...and was immediately set upon by a pesky spider. Although I punched it repeatedly in the face, it felt the need to feast on my flash...soooo, I went back to my SP game :)
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

llew silverhand wrote:it felt the need to feast on my flash
But did it leave your Java alone?

*snicker*
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Sorry for doubleposting but I have to adress and issue that I have.

Since I live in a different continent, my ping is quite bad. This makes fighting monsters a pain in the a, especially spiders and skeletons.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Lord_P wrote:
llew silverhand wrote:it felt the need to feast on my flash
But did it leave your Java alone?

*snicker*
HAH!!! Didn't even notice that :D Too funny to actually edit it, I think!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Lord_P wrote:Sorry for doubleposting but I have to adress and issue that I have.
Since I live in a different continent, my ping is quite bad. This makes fighting monsters a pain in the a, especially spiders and skeletons.
I understand, as I too have a very bad ping (Comes from the computer, not the location). Probably not as bad as yours, but I'm trying to think of a solution without turning mobs off. I had an idea for a couple of new systems for our server, so I suggest one of them on the notice board in the spawn area (I'm sure people are getting sick of seeing all these posts again). Let me know your thoughts by either sending me a PM or putting a sign on the bulletin board outside of spawn.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

That spider really has it in for me...I didn't have a lot of time to read the boards before he was making a bee-line for me. Starting to wonder if we should have some doors put up on the spawn point :)

BTW, I like how it looks so far.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

The Tale of my Misadventures

So, when I first logged in I spawned on the platform. Nice job there, Vroqren. After reading through the signs I set out for the wild savannah right outside. Got some wood. Nothing special.

Night came and all hell broke loose. I got killed by monsters numerous times. I left and came back later.

Next time went a little bit better. Got wood, etc etc. Then I saw a field of wheat near the body of water. I started walking towards it, but fell into the massive crevice just next to it and died.

Ehm... "if you first don't succeed, try again." Got wood and so on. I raided the field for food (but replanted everything) and then I fell into the crevice, again. This time I survived, but had to spend the night in the darkness. When day came I punched my way out of there.

Started exploring, found some hills and stuff. Night fell on me, died again. This time I got all my stuff back and dug inside the large hill. Right now I'm in a long tunnel, cooking some porkchops and mining randomly.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Every time i log in there's either a spider or a zombie waiting for me...but I agree, the spawning platform is awesome :)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I'm sorry, about the mobs, I don't know what to do because I don't really want to turn them off. Here's my suggestion:

When you log on, if it's night time, disconnect and reconnect in 6-10 minutes. This should give you about 10 minutes to get set up before mobs spawn. You may even want to disconnect for the next night-time as well. Directly behind the spawn there are a bunch of farms you can harvest, assuming you replant. Potatoes, Carrots, and Wheat.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

I thought time didn't flow if no one was connected?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

It does. At least on multiplayer servers, though I'm not sure about single player.
But time still advances when nobody is online.

llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Ah, very cool! I'll give that a shot tonight if I have some time! I'd love to get started with a hovel :)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Vroqren wrote:I'm sorry, about the mobs, I don't know what to do because I don't really want to turn them off.
Eh, no problem. The ping has gotten a bit better and I'm getting used to being assaulted every night. :wink:
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

I like the doors in the spawn area...a shame we can't open them from outside ... at night ...when the zombie hoards are closing in :mrgreen: