Ow

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Ow

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Moving may be the greatest reason for switching to ebooks ever. Ow.

Just so you know, I still exist. Just took longer than expected to get my computer hooked back up and online. Tomorrow I'll see about getting all of those boxes of books unpacked and back on shelves.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Ow

Post by Randomizer »

The first time I moved I lost the built in bookshelves in the old place. Since then shelving has never caught up to books so most stay boxed. Even in college my roommate and I couldn't keep up with the books.

Good luck.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Yeah, I'm currently leaving about 4,000 in my storage container. Nowhere to put them. My fiancee and I will be building an office/library for me at the house down the road, but first I need to pay off all the debt from moving. ;-)
---

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Im sure you'll get through it. When I had to move into my house Im currently in, I had to get a treadmill through a doorway which had 1/2 an inch free space to make it. What ended up happening was a piece of wood ripped right off.

Not very fun. But still got through the doorway.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

deathknight1728 wrote:Im sure you'll get through it. When I had to move into my house Im currently in, I had to get a treadmill through a doorway which had 1/2 an inch free space to make it. What ended up happening was a piece of wood ripped right off.

Not very fun. But still got through the doorway.
I had moments like that getting stuff out of my old house. I actually had to take one door off its hinges to get some of the appliances out. Also, as tempting as it is to save space, loading a storage cabinet with two cases of paper is a really bad idea when you have to try to get it up a flight of stairs.
---

sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Moving is the absolute worst. For a short time, I used to own a truck, and thus became the de facto "help a friend move guy". I'll probably never buy a truck again for that reason alone.
:lol:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Dont remind me, i will be moving at least 2 more times, if not 3 in the next few years if everything goes the way i think its going to. (in a good way)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Moving may be the greatest reason for switching to ebooks ever. Ow.

Just so you know, I still exist. Just took longer than expected to get my computer hooked back up and online. Tomorrow I'll see about getting all of those boxes of books unpacked and back on shelves.
I have to agree with this. I read more on a computer/device similar than I read in any book. Plus Drive-Thru Rpg is on computer pdfs which is awesome.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I love books, paperbacks. I like holding them, a feeling you just can't get while reading a computer screen. I do have lots of pdfs of gaming stuff. I keep books to read when electricity fails and can't use computer to keep myself busy. Use battery operated lamps to read by. :) I've had to cull my stash of books several times since moving to our home 41 years ago. Now I only keep books/paperbacks that I re-read over and over again. Still have a large number of them. Almost time to cull again.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Dragonlady wrote:I love books, paperbacks. I like holding them, a feeling you just can't get while reading a computer screen. I do have lots of pdfs of gaming stuff. I keep books to read when electricity fails and can't use computer to keep myself busy. Use battery operated lamps to read by. :) I've had to cull my stash of books several times since moving to our home 41 years ago. Now I only keep books/paperbacks that I re-read over and over again. Still have a large number of them. Almost time to cull again.
Im with you dragonlady. Nothing like holding a book to read for sure.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

You guys are so funny. Very much like Jim Morrison and John Lenin-Very talented but a dark side that no one else can see.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

With me it is video game cartridges instead of books. I have darn near 80 NES games and around 50 SNES games and several N64 as well. I used to keep them all displayed on a shelf back when I lived with my parents, but ever since I've been on my own, and now married, I've never been able to display them again in that manner. They end up sitting in boxes and containers in my bedroom closet.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I never realize just how many books I have until it's time to move. And everyone who helps me move always ends up cursing me for all these boxes and boxes and bags filled with books. ...Then there's the shelving.

I do have an Kindle, which is good for some things but I've never bought an e-book and never will. I bought the Kindle because 1. friends send me PDF copies of their new books and I hate reading things on the computer screen; 2. it helps when reading/reviewing journal submissions that exceed a certain length; 3. it's convenient for PDF's of public domain stuff that I occasionally download, because like I said I hate reading things on a computer screen.

It's also useful for game-development purposes, which is something I'm involved with, now. (See? Those who remember me might remember me going on about wanting to develop my own game. Now I am. Haha!) Having an e-reader is useful in that you can put the scripts on there — or the notes — and have them readily available at any time.

But, e-books can never replace books, for me. Ever. As hard it is for me to read fiction on a computer screen, it's almost as hard for me to read a book on a Kindle. E-books aren't physical. You can't feel them. You can't smell them. You can't flip through the pages. You can't admire the composition.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.