Eschalon: Book I & II: What was done really well [Spoilers]

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Eschalon: Book I & II: What was done really well [Spoilers]

Post by Lord_P »

This is such a cliche but I felt like listing things that I liked very much in both of the Books.

Introducing new monsters
Imagine this moment from Book II: you have just accepted the quest "Weed in the Bath House". You have found and fought the Sentinel Stalk. What a grand challenging battle it was for your lvl 3-5 character! And now, very much later, you have entered Hammerlorne. You get teleported to the room FULL of Sentinel Stalks. Your character might stand a chance against them, but now you remember doing that quest ages ago. And you are very afraid.

Same goes with the lone Taurax Scout in Sylphwood Forest/Coppervein Rift/I didn't remember. Another challenging fight. And later in the game you find yourself fighting a small army of those bulls!

Music
Everyone who has played Eschalon remembers the gorgeous music. It's a miracle how every track fits into place. And that brings us to...

Atmosphere
The first time I played Eschalon, I didn't really know what to do. I was a complete newbie. But the atmosphere... it's really easy to immerse yourself into the world of Eschalon, by just walking around Thaermore/Mistfell. People have requested faster walking speeds, but I think that the slow pace helps the atmosphere.

The atmosphere is more than just nice green hills -esque scenery. When traversing through the frozen wasteland of Nor'land you feel like being in a frozen wasteland. Nothing but eternal whiteness in every direction. Port Kuudad may lack in NPCs but makes up with the sounds of a city (I have always thought that all those sounds in inns come from the patrons. You just can't see them because they aren't important.) Salted Coast feels like a lonely, sad place. Forsaken Coast is a truly forsaken place. Same goes with dungeons. I have been genuinely terrified of going into some of those dark places.

I would say that the atmosphere is one of the building blocks of Eschalon.

There are many more things great in Eschalon than those, but I listed the most important things that came to my mind.
Elveronion
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Eschalon: Book I & II: What was done really well [Spoile

Post by Elveronion »

I agree with everything you said. I would also add that the narration which pops up when you enter dungeons or come across special areas really add to the feel. it reminds me of playing d&d with my big brother in the 90s. but most of all i like the character development. the skills are great, because some are important and some are just helpful, just like in real life!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I thought that book 1 was perfect. It had everything I could want in an rpg. Book 2, I gave up once you get to the tauraxes. It wasn't that things were just hard in the game, but it all was jumbled up unlike in book 1. In book 2 every weapon had a special attack which was unique. Thats nice but the replay ability is gone out the window as there really are only 3 weapons special feats that had useful attacks. Cleaving, swords sucked immensely and the only real candidates for melee are piercing, unarmed and MAYBE maces. Piercing was good and so was unarmed. They did the same thing for ranged weapons. Bows are the only useful weapons as throwing sucked.

I really think that if they wanted to do it right, they would allow each weapon type to have a power attack that everyone gets. That way there wouldn't be a whole all these weapon types suck.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote:Book 2, I gave up once you get to the tauraxes. It wasn't that things were just hard in the game, but it all was jumbled up unlike in book 1.
From my experience the people that complain about the difficulty of Book II being too hard usually don't know how to develop and use their character properly. Some even rush to the end of the game and have the cheek to complain...
This is coming from you, the person who has given me shit from the beginning just because you are the expert in everything. Who the hell do you think you are? If your not a moderator then I suggest you not tell me what my problems are.

Besides all that, you have given me shit since I started on here. No one else is that ridiculously obnoxious. You think your real funny with your sarcastic personality.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I think that's a little severe a reaction, deathknight. I certainly think you're entitled to your opinions, and I don't think Prismatic needling you about it was very kind. But you can call him out on that without escalating to full-out flaming.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I dont think its severe. He's been giving me crap since I joined. He cant stop saying these sarcastic remarks that put me down. I never even went after him once. This is a perfect example of what happens when someone's only life in this world is a set of forums.

VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

You both are acting like a bunch of lunatics. These forums are made for people that like games, not wars. If both of you cant keep to yourselves and must fight why not leave all of us out of it. Message each other and leave us out of it.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I don't want to be the guy who jumps in the middle, and gets shoved out by both sides so please, hear me out, and think about whether or not my post is true before immediately telling me not to get into this:

I think you're probably both a little bit angry at each other right now. When angry, we (as humans) have the tendency to react harshly. I of all people know this, I get angry very easily, and make stupid decisions when I am angry. I overreact. So, while I am neither of your guardians, or in a position to tell you what to do, I do have a suggestion for you both. Heed it if you will: Just ignore each other for a while, and try to understand the other's point of view. This forum has always been a very happy place, and I personally would like it to stay that way.

So, both of you, don't overreact, or make harsh statements about the other. Try to humble yourselves, and realize that while the other is at fault, you are too. I don't care who 'started it'. Just try to calm down. We are here because we enjoy the Eschalon Series if that's not enough of a bond, I don't know what is.

EDIT: If you choose not to listen to me, I can take any insults you throw at me, so direct them towards me, not each other.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Nice way to put it, Vroqren.

This topic is going nowhere. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Hopefully Book III will be everything you hope for.

Locked.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.