Baldur's Gate and DnD

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
leshpar
Marshall

Baldur's Gate and DnD

Post by leshpar »

I decided to pick up Baldur's Gate EE on steam recently cause its always a game I really wanted to try and ended up falling in love with this game way more than I expected to. So much so that I have already bought BG2 on GoG in anticipation of finishing BG1.

At first I was completely lost and unfamiliar with the DnD rule set for stats and what not. What the heck is a THAC0? Well, I found a really really good document that explains the DnD 2nd edition stuff very well and applies for all DnD games from this time period (late 80s to early 2000s) with specific emphasis on baldur's gate and icewind dale.

This document can be found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/8566

Once you've read this document fully (or are just more familiar with the rules than I was) you'll be ready to enjoy a whole ton of games that may have previously been off limits due to how confusing the systems were. I fully plan to go through a lot of games, first and foremost Baldur's Gate 2 after I finish 1. Then I'll do Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. I also want to do Pools of Radience at some point and may even stretch into Bard's Tale and games loosely based on DnD in the future.

I have Eschalon to thank for giving me the push into this kind of RPG though. That's why I wanted to play Baldur's Gate in the first place.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Baldur's Gate and DnD

Post by Lord_P »

leshpar wrote:At first I was completely lost and unfamiliar with the DnD rule set for stats and what not. What the heck is a THAC0?
I had the same feel about damage rolls when I started playing. d6+1? Uhh... (Now I know what it means, but still doesn't help)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Lord_P wrote:
leshpar wrote:At first I was completely lost and unfamiliar with the DnD rule set for stats and what not. What the heck is a THAC0?
I had the same feel about damage rolls when I started playing. d6+1? Uhh... (Now I know what it means, but still doesn't help)
You mean there are people who don't have a large bag full of numbered polyhedrons in their homes?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: You mean there are people who don't have a large bag full of numbered polyhedrons in their homes?
Who are these savages?
:lol:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

sirdilznik wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote: You mean there are people who don't have a large bag full of numbered polyhedrons in their homes?
Who are these savages?
:lol:
You calling me a savage?! *sound of talons clinking on hoard pile*

:roll: :lol:

I've been playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced for several weeks now. There is a sharp learning curve, even witht he tutoral. I run a 1st./2nd ed game and have for years but I have some of my own rules about some things. It took me a while to get used to the 'real' 2nd ed. rules. :) Just got into the first section of the city yesterday. I'm not sure I will play any of the others in the series, mostly due to the fact they aren't out on a Mac. But, I'm waiting for Book III and a few others I've contributed Kickstarter fees for to come out this year.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I also discovered Avernum through GoG. Looks pretty awesome. Not exactly dnd, but similar.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I've been running 2E games for the past decade and a half, so lucky for me, I never had to figure out the mechanics of Baldur's Gate. (Well, except for all the rules they changed from the actual game, that is.)
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

DnD fan since...July 1981 here :) Still play to this day, though not as often as I'd like.

That being said, for some reason, BG and ID just never really grabbed me. NWN probably did the most - especially with the infinite dungeons dlc they had...oh how I loved that one.

For me though, sitting down and playing with friends at the table will always beat out electronic DnD. Nothing else compares to that experience :)

Don't get me wrong - I love me some PC games...and console games...and I'll keep playing those til my fingers seize up, and I can't see the screen!
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

The best part about Baldurs Gate series is that you can solo the entire series with little to no problem. I usually like going with some kind of thief character. I sometimes use a npc for quests, but the best part of the game is soloing and knowing just how far you can go before you have to regroup.

I usually play all rpgs solo-the only game I stay away from is Icewind Dale 2 as the experience scales with level.

Im glad that the Eschalon series was made with that mindset. If BW ever makes another game like it, that would be just awesome.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I'd love to find me a DnD 2nd edition group to play with. Unfortunately noone I know around here plays. I mean, I live in a large city, I am sure they exist, but how I can find them is beyond me. I've tried messaging several people from various "meet up" sites I've found regarding this, but none have responded.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

I actually just got rid of my gaming books about 6 months ago, BUT, I was glad to do it. I sold them to a father who grew up gaming and was looking to start his son out on the legacy of AD&D paper/pencil gaming. They got a steal, all my 1st addition books, including mint condition Fiend Folio, and Oriental Adventures.

I agree, the best way to play was a mix of 1st and 2nd addition. The 2nd addition thieving abilities was much more realistic than every thief being the same. Though I have to say my favorite character to play was the archer class from dragon magazine.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

leshpar wrote:I'd love to find me a DnD 2nd edition group to play with. Unfortunately noone I know around here plays. I mean, I live in a large city, I am sure they exist, but how I can find them is beyond me. I've tried messaging several people from various "meet up" sites I've found regarding this, but none have responded.
Have you tried any local hobby and game shops? At this point in the world, most classic D&D playing groups have been together a long time, but you may be able to find entree through the hobby stores. Also, there are a LOT of different PnP role playing games these days, many of them very cool.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

I agree with ^^^ I actually used to have a blast with other PnP games like Rifts, Vampire The Masquerade, Werewolf The Apocalypse, Cyberpunk 2020......the list goes on from there.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

The only other PnP game I found I enjoyed was Vampire the Masqurade. I usually only care for a fantasy midevil style setting too, so it was somewhat of an oddity for me.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

leshpar wrote:I'd love to find me a DnD 2nd edition group to play with. Unfortunately noone I know around here plays. I mean, I live in a large city, I am sure they exist, but how I can find them is beyond me. I've tried messaging several people from various "meet up" sites I've found regarding this, but none have responded.
Leshpar, have you read the private message I sent you? Been a few days since I wrote it. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!