Kickstarter game. Balrum similar to Eschalon.

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
LordMarius1
Pledge

Kickstarter game. Balrum similar to Eschalon.

Post by LordMarius1 »

I understand that every one on this forum is a rpg fan and waiting anticipating book of Eschalon 3 however there is a small game being developed by a other Hungarian team, the game is called Balrum its looks quite similar to Book of Eschalon in terms of graphics, however they got a lot of really interesting ideas added to it, like branching story with different quest options, building a home and farm, interesting crafting system and a lot of other neat things. Please be considerate and give them a try take a look please. Also tell me what you think :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/balconyteam/balrum
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Kickstarter game. Balrum similar to Eschalon.

Post by raverdave2k »

Looks very interesting, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this :shock:
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

Just funded, it seems a good clone of Eschalon saga.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Nevermore wrote:Just funded, it seems a good clone of Eschalon saga.
Doesn't look like they'll make their funding target though... :(

Too bad, because I'd definitely want to play the equivalent of an Eschalon knock-off... :wink:

(What happens on Kickstarter if you fall somewhat short (like, say, reach 70% of your target)? – Can you still use the funding you've received? Or is it an "all or nothing" proposition?...)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:

Too bad, because I'd definitely want to play the equivalent of an Eschalon knock-off... :wink:

(What happens on Kickstarter if you fall somewhat short (like, say, reach 70% of your target)? – Can you still use the funding you've received? Or is it an "all or nothing" proposition?...)
Kickstarter is all or nothing. Indiegogo offers both flexible options and all-or-nothing options. They can, of course, always try another round after they've looked over commentary and such to see how to improve their pitch and get more recognition.
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

IJBall wrote:

Well, the minimum fund is 50k $ and actually they have raised only 23 K and the kickstart is 9 days to go. :|
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Nevermore wrote:Well, the minimum fund is 50k $ and actually they have raised only 23 K and the kickstart is 9 days to go. :|
I'm factoring that there's likely to be a surge in donations in the last couple of days (that's been a common phenomenon in other CRPG Kickstarters I've followed...). I bet they get to somewhere around $30-$35K in the end. But I don't see how they get to $50K with where they are right now... :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

It also doesn't help that they're running this campaign in the face of the recent collapse of a "successful" campaign for another game, though alternately the successful launch of Shadowrun Returns could spur belief that the system does work. The difference, of course, is a shoe-string versus a real budget. I think the guys who failed had a shoe-string but acted like they had a steel cable. Shadowrun Returns had a real budget and folks who knew how to make that budget do its job.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

What was the "successful" campaign that collapsed?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

SpottedShroom wrote:What was the "successful" campaign that collapsed?
The one that I saw a lot of sturm and drang about was for "The Doom That Came To Atlantic City," a proposed board game that had asked for $35k, raised $122k, and the guy who ran the campaign just said he was out of money, couldn't get further backing to finish it, and the game was dead. He swears he'll pay everyone back, but really... Here's an article about it: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... refunds-mi
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

That failed game read like the plot to The Producers. A vaporware failure can produce more money than a real product.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Randomizer wrote:That failed game read like the plot to The Producers. A vaporware failure can produce more money than a real product.
Yep, but even if you give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was just stupid, not a crook, it still gives one pause about pouring money into Kickstarter projects. A cool idea should not be enough to get you to fork over your money. You have to see that the people doing the project know what they're doing and can actually deliver. A lot of people contributing on Kickstarter really forget that you're taking a risk when you pledge money. There are no enforceable guarantees that you will get what you pledged for.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

This game looks awesome. Definitely something I'd play.

And this is why I never donate more than I can spare. Usually its only $5 or something. That way if something goes stupid I am not really out anything.
Firall
Initiate

Post by Firall »

The failed game is a bit off topic, however I thought it was worth mentioning it's still getting printed, just not by the person who promised it.

http://keith-baker.com/cryptozoic-saves-doom/

Luckily for me, all of my backed games have either delivered, or will. (Only two pending, one of which is shadowrun, want my linux client!) That being said, I'm going to back this one also, but I'm in agreement with IJBall. Don't think they'll hit the mark.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Three hours to go, and Balrum is only about $650 short of their goal. Looks like we''ll be getting an Eschalon clone to tide us over after Book III until whatever Basilisk releases next.