RPG Engines

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
redspark
Initiate

RPG Engines

Post by redspark »

I know this isn't a development website but I'd like to get the opinion of those with experience. I've been wanting to make an RPG game for a while and have attempted making an engine but my skills at programming are a little on the rusty side. I've been doing too much business intelligence programming the past several years that my programming knowledge has become out of date. (Like what happened to WinG? lol ;) )

I'm looking for nearly a 2D, cross platform (at least PC and Mac) turn key solution that I can pick up, import my own artwork and just start building my world/story. I don't mind scripting to expand the engine for RPG mechanics but I don't want to have to deal with the core engine. Any suggestions? I don't suppose BW is licensing their engine for indies to use?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: RPG Engines

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

redspark wrote:I don't suppose BW is licensing their engine for indies to use?
I think that if someone was really motivated and made a great mod from the Book III toolset, and if they wanted to take this mod to the next level (make it a full stand-alone game), we would certainly consider licensing our engine for that. Or, if the game were on par with Eschalon in terms of quality, we could negotiate sales of the game through Basilisk Games (this would guarantee high visibility and coverage on most major software portals) for a percentage of sales, so that no up-front licensing fees would be needed.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
redspark
Initiate

Post by redspark »

That would be awesome! Thank you so much. This gives me yet another reason to be anxious for Book III's release. :)
Thynar
Apprentice

Post by Thynar »

Sweet! Good news :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Too late for me to take advantage of that, but I think it's a great idea/offer anyway, BW!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland