My brother just killed himself-Sad Forums

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

My brother just killed himself-Sad Forums

Post by VDK »

Well I guess thats goodbye. My brother just died last night and I thought that everyone on the forums would like to know as he wont be coming back. He's been disgruntled like a chipmunk who lost his squirrels and sadly they wont be back :(

He suffered from depression, paranoia, and hallucinations for a large amount of his life and had a terribly bad early life which we found out about just a month ago. We found out that he was beaten for 5 years when in school and suffered from some severe back complications. He didn't tell anyone in the family about this and preferred to keep stuff to himself.

He always wanted to get a girlfriend, treat her well and live a good regular life but he lacked any real confidence and thought that he was worthless. Recently he seemed extremely worse than usual. Me and the family came down to his house he was living at worried and found him on the floor.

As sad as this seems, I came on this forum tonight to make sure his forum name is put to rest. Thanks for your consideration and I hope that you can play Book 3 and enjoy it as he would have. Im staying away from games for awhile until this is over.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: My brother just killed himself-Sad Forums

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I hope I am not misunderstanding- you are the brother of VDK and you came here to say he has passed? I hope I understood you correctly, and if so, I am terribly sorry to hear about your loss. VDK wasn't very active on the forums so I didn't get a chance to know him, but never-the-less it is heartbreaking to hear of someone who was in so much pain that they took their own life. My sincere condolences.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I hope I am not misunderstanding- you are the brother of VDK and you came here to say he has passed? I hope I understood you correctly, and if so, I am terribly sorry to hear about your loss. VDK wasn't very active on the forums so I didn't get a chance to know him, but never-the-less it is heartbreaking to hear of someone who was in so much pain that they took their own life. My sincere condolences.
That is all wrong. My brother is Deathknight1728
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh gosh, I am very sorry for the misunderstanding, VDK. I didn't know you two were brothers. Yes, Deathknight1728 has been fairly active here for a while and I knew he was anxious to play Book 3. He even considered Alpha Testing.

It certainly doesn't change what I said; I am so very sorry for your loss, VDK.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm so sorry to hear that. He seemed like a friendly, enthusiastic guy. I lost a good friend to suicide earlier this year, and I'm still really broken up about it.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

While I too did not know Deathknight particularly well, his comments were always great, and I loved his ideas. I am so sorry for your loss.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, VDK. Deathknight PMd me a few times and I was always happy to chat with him. I'm sorry that he was so troubled and more sorry that he couldn't find a way through it.

It may not help but I can tell you that it's been a tough year for me personally, with a lot of people close to me dying, some after long illnesses and some with a suddenness that gives you whiplash. It is hard to keep moving on, but in time you find a way to remember the joys. Remember your brother for his joys.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Honoring VDK's request to retire Deathknight's username, I have applied the rank "Illustrious" to him as he meets the criteria of being at least officer level and a regularly active patron to these forums.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Sorry to hear of your brother's passing, VDK. He will be missed here on the forums. My condolences to you and your family.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Let's have a good long time before anyone else achieves Illustrious status, huh? You folks take care of yourselves.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just feel very sorry both for your loss and for the fact that DeathKnight was so miserable that he couldn't keep going. This is a terrible situation for everyone involved. I think I can speak for everyone here in extending condolences to you and your family.

Also, I sincerely hope we wait a long, long time before BW needs to add another name to the Illustrious column.....
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I also wish to add my condolences to the list. Every time i read or replied to something he said, he always seemed like a normal, fun guy. On several occasions i found myself wondering if we would ever meet and how we probably would have become friends.

Its sad to know that he didnt feel like he could talk to anyone about it.

The pain never dies, but it does lessen over time.

May peace reign over you and yours.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Castruccio
Initiate

Post by Castruccio »

I am very sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed interacting with Death Knight here and on the Soldak forums.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Oh, man.

We all try.

Sorry, VDK.

Stay healthy, everyone.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

That is rather interesting. Perhaps his "brother" is using his account?