Editing software conundrum

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Editing software conundrum

Post by lilwoofer »

I am VERY new to editing games via utilities and Python. I just installed Python on my Mac 10.6.8 OS. I can grab saved game maps, etc and open them in the console but cannot "edit" anything. Long story as short as I can make it. In E2, dead brother's hidden room access via only using bronze which THEN would negate my Immaculate and True Wizard awards just for the book which then entitles me to solving 3 quests and getting down into the cavern under Port Kuudad and lets me place the eggs I find. I want to resolve this frustrating conundrum by "cheating" and editing my saved game before standing on the Pentagram with no armor, computer-wise sending me into the hidden room, opening the chests,get my loot and then resaving afterwards to get me outside after I have the items. Is this possible and can someone take the time to instruct me WHICH file it is under and how does one "edit" the save the file(s)via Python;s console or am I missing a very important application/element?

brian
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Editing software conundrum

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Probably easier to just edit yourself the book, isn't it? Though you miss the other minor random loot in the hidden room. You can edit your character's location on the map in the saved game. I don't know the exact process, as I've never used the editor, but if you know the coordinates where you want to be, you can move yourself there with the editor.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

If i could figure out any of this on my own, i would be a god like all of you, but alas, i suck! i do not need the loot, just the book. But again, i have no idea how the book is labelled - hmmm 2 saved games, one losing my untouchable and wizard to find the item, got it! - and i know the char file edit will change my inventory but I cannot edit my files. I can read them through Python but when I try to edit, Eschalon Utilities says i need to do something with PyRunTime locations in info.plist. I can't find these anywhere on my computer. Can someone just alter my char list for me? I hate that cuz i wanna learn these little fun things but damn, I feel so foolish. And is all programming like this with series of q's and millions of "black diamond white question marked" icons? What do THOSE mean anyway????
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

The easiest way is to just edit out the wall so you can get into the room without the teleporter. Fire up the Book II map editor, load the Southern Kessian Basin map from your save directory (5150.map), select the Erase tool, check the "walls" option, and click to remove walls. When you're done, save the map in the editor and load your save in the game.