Fans of Basilisk Games: What's Next?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Fans of Basilisk Games: What's Next?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hello! If you are reading this then you are likely a fan of Basilisk Games and are wondering what is coming next. Well, there are changes headed our way and I will tell you a bit about it.

First, Book 3 has sold very well! However, what has sold well is the number of copies- we've sold far more copies of Book 3 than we did Book 2 in the same amount of time. But (and this is the important part) most copies have been sold while the game was deeply discounted or bundled, meaning we've made only a few dollars per copy on average. Does anyone remember what we sold Book 1 for? $27.95 when it launched in 2007. The bottom line is that despite selling many units of the game, financially Book 3 hasn't done as well as we hoped.

What this means is that we don't have enough funds to complete our Next Big RPG on our own. We need financial help. Kickstarter is an option, but it's not a route I want to go at this time.

What I've decided to do is partner up with an investor who can help fund our future projects. The deal is that my studio will need to complete work on at least one other game first as part of our agreement. The types of games being discussed have been a sci-fi vehicle simulator, a graphic adventure game, a horror-survival game, and even a casual mobile game. These are just ideas; no decision has yet been made what we'll be working on. Also, these games will not be published under the "Basilisk Games" trademark, but rather under a different developer name not yet determined.

Basilisk Games remains intact and I will continue to work behind the scenes on our next RPG when I am not working on other projects. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated as I make small bits of progress, but do not fret if things are quiet around here for a few months. Once certain financial milestones are met with our partner, Basilisk Games will be approved to begin full-time development on our next RPG.

I can't say much more about this now, but I'll be happy to share a link with everyone here when the first of these games is announced sometime next year. While I'm disappointed to not be able to say we are working on our next RPG right now, I am excited to be leading the development of these other games. Some of the ideas being discussed here are seriously cool! Stay tuned... :D
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Fans of Basilisk Games: What's Next?

Post by Painted Lady »

This is good news - I'm so glad you are going to be able to continue to develop RPG style games. If I read your post correctly, the next game will be released under a pseudonym. Will you be able to tell us about it so we can go and look at it, or will it be completely separated from the rest of your games?
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

While i support anything you do from here on out, i for one, just hope the next one isnt a mobile game.

That said!! if it pays your way to the new rpg, and i have the platform, ill be in like flynn just for support.

hell, ive spent more on games i never play becuase i like the dev on games i actually like LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

As a former indie developer, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I had to take periodic breaks on my bigger game projects to work on occasional smaller projects that would generate revenue. Just don't get burned out like I did.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

That's great! Do what you have to do, BW. You've got the full support of your community.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Congratulations on finding a way to survive lower sales. We've got a chance to play more of your games instead of reading messages that the next game will come out on an even later date like some companies.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:Congratulations on finding a way to survive lower sales.
It actually wasn't "lower sales" - as BW made clear, it was lower revenue that was the problem, not lower sales...

My takeaway from this is that I hope the Eschalon series doesn't get "memory-holed" - for example, if somebody comes along who wants to "license the Eschalon game engine" to make more games like that, I hope BW will seriously entertain such offers. I also hope that BW might just "turn to code over" to SpottedShroom and xolotl to see what they might be able to do picking away at it in their spare time.

My biggest interest is that things might continue to come from Eschalon, even if BW's moved on to other projects...
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Awesome! It's been a few days since I last checked the forums, and probably months since I last made a post, but this is super good news! I will always support Basilisk Games, assuming I have the platform required to play whatever comes out next.

Thanks for the update BW.

On a completely unrelated note that I don't want to create a separate topic for:
Because I'm back(ish) I do eventually plan on finishing my Book III walkthrough, even if I don't post it here.
I will also be resuming my youtube series of Eschalon, but not any of my other series there.
School just has to take priority *sigh*
:|

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Figured something like this, and I'm good with that. Actually paying bills and raising a family is much more important than the rest. You've done something most folks talk about but never have the guts to do. You successfully started your own game company and made three really cool games and I'll be around to check out whatever game you create next--for yourself or for others.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

The investor wants to see if it is worth investing in Basilisk Games.EB1-3 should have been ample evidence for the competence of the Team, but when the money is flowing from a source its always the source's will and influence on what business elements - buyable stuff - the game must have in order to generate as much profit as possible.

Let's hope it will be a fast-turnout project, comparable to Nintendo titles, small game, couple of months then put out to the market to see, how well it goes.

Also gathering experience in a different genre must be good. After this special project however just develop an actual RPG in the end please, no adventure survival / base building / tool crafting crap, thank you.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Came here to see what had been going on (ok, I reinstalled EB3 too).
Good luck then, hope to know more about your next work soon.
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

I'm sorry to hear that revenue is down. I get what you are saying with the desire to avoid kickstarter, but if you ever change your mind, I'll be watching. I'd back anything by you in a heartbeat.
Nelly
Initiate

Post by Nelly »

I have all 3 games on steam but have just bought all 3 games again from GoG. How else can one show support? :)