RPGWatch Interview

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

RPGWatch Interview

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thomas Riegsecker (me) was recently interviewed at RPGWatch. Read it here:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/basili ... w-285.html
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: RPGWatch Interview

Post by Painted Lady »

Whoopee - I loved the part that said you will have some sort of announcement later in 2015. Exciting news, and a great interview.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:we we we our our our
Pluralis royalis?
BasiliskWrangler wrote: Couchpotato: If you could pick five RPG games that inspired you to make your own games, what would they be?

Thomas Riegsecker: Certainly the Ultima series, Dungeon Master, the Might & Magic series, and pretty much all the Elder Scrolls games. That's more than five I suppose! Most specifically, I remember first sitting down with Ultima 2 on an Atari 800 computer, back in 1983, and feeling as if it was a life-changing experience
...and Exile??? Come now, stop with the denail...
BasiliskWrangler wrote: Couchpotato: You have been in business for close to ten years as an Indie developer. Can you share what lessons you have learned over the years?

Work smart, not hard. I suffered from a great deal of stress and burnout over the years from not having healthy work habits. I'd work 7 days a week and long hours each day, and it's a horrible way to live. After Book III was released, I took a long vacation and had to relearn how to relax!
Solution: Import Europeean coffe instead of that bitter piss missappropriately labelled coffe.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Good interview. Looking forward to the new announcements later in 2015.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Xex
Apprentice

Post by Xex »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:...we can keep doing this or you can just stop. I don't mind if you have opinions one way or the other, but you don't need to be verbally insulting and rude. You are better than that.
You're right, I am better than this. I use to enjoy posting here but all I feel now whenever I come here is disappointment, regret and sadness.

The independent developer that I use to respect so much for more than six years may as well of died months ago and it is time for me to accept that and move on.

I would say goodbye, but I don't recognise you any more. I'll close the door behind me.
I probably should not jump into this, but I will put on my flame retardant suit and give it a shot.

I hardly ever frequent these forums, though I have been following BasiliskGames since Book 1, but it seems to me the issue here is that you feel BasiliskWrangler should release the dev tools for Eschalon and/or follow up with more games.

If so, I am pretty sure BW would love to do both, but he has mouth(s) to feed and a life to live, which comes first. If EIII didn't meet the sales figures needed to jump into another game right away and fully develop the mod tools, it only makes sense he would focus on other things. The mod engine he has likely is not user friendly for the general public at all in it's current form. Why release a product like that?

Anyhow, I am pretty sure everyone here is looking forward to BW's next game, whenever that comes. :)

@BW: If you can answer I was just wondering, many years ago, after EI and before EII, you mentioned here you would like to do a first person RPG, with a possible scifi premise. Is that still on the table or are you keeping options open for now?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Xex wrote:@BW: If you can answer I was just wondering, many years ago, after EI and before EII, you mentioned here you would like to do a first person RPG, with a possible scifi premise. Is that still on the table or are you keeping options open for now?
There is a sci-fi RPG in development right now.

We also have an adventure game that is in prototype stage right now. (Prototype stage is just a collection of working ideas put together to show to industry people. It's not really a game yet.)

Neither game will be ready for release in 2015. This is all I can say at this time.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

What is "an adventure game"?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Painted Lady wrote:What is "an adventure game"?
Adventure games are story-based games where you have all the fun of exploration and puzzles, without the character stats and combat of an RPG. Adventure games can be point-and-click based like the old Sierra games, or more recently "Kentucky Route Zero". They can be side-scroller based, like "Limbo", or they could be location-based puzzle games, like "Myst" or "The 7th Guest". There are hundreds of more examples I could give, but hopefully you get the idea.