Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I have a lot of hope for it. I think having Abrams direct was a bold choice.

I initially feared that having Disney take the franchise over was a horrible mistake, but the truth is "Star Wars" had outgrown what Lucus could handle on his own. I think the next 3 SW films will be as anticipated as the Lord of the Rings films were.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by MyGameCompany »

My understanding is that Lucas had the storylines for several trilogies in mind, which were all kind of tied together into one overarching story, and passed that along to Kathleen Kennedy when he passed the baton - but Abrams and company chose to discard all that and go a separate direction. They also threw away most of the extended universe (Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade from Zahn's books, the Emperor's return in Dark Empire, etc). I understand they would have to discard some extended universe stuff in order to build past Episode 6, but I'm a bit concerned that Episode 7's story may be weak and not make a lot of sense in the grander scheme of things.

That said, the trailer looked impressive, and I am looking forward to seeing the original stars in their old roles again. Hopefully my concerns will be unfounded...
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland