Game won't even launch!

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Game won't even launch!

Post by CrazyBernie »

Just for kicks, I'd try installing it in a different folder. For instance, my install directory is C:\Games\Eschalon Book II
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

If this is all down to a single driver that I need to change at the inconvenience of other programs I have installed,then this will unfortunately result in a lost sale.And that would be too bad because Book 1 was awesome and Book 2 looks awesomer :lol: I'm sure this problem will get sorted out,it's just the first day.Just so everyone knows,I have a Toshiba Qosmio x300,Core 2 duo processor,Nvidia 9700m gts,and a harmon/kardon built-in speakers with realtec sound drivers.Oh and Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

I tried installing to a different place.No change :(
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Ok... go to your saved games folder and open up the eb2.cfg file in notepad.

What's your renderer and sound settings set to?
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

I think you and me just solved the problem because...THERE IS NO eb2.cfg FILE :shock: DUH DUH DUUUUH!!! lol so maybe I need to create the file,and if so what would I need to type and where exactly would I have to place it?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1unusedname wrote:I think you and me just solved the problem because...THERE IS NO eb2.cfg FILE :shock: DUH DUH DUUUUH!!! lol so maybe I need to create the file,and if so what would I need to type and where exactly would I have to place it?
Well, that is because the game is not getting far enough along to create one. Your first .cfg file is not made until you leave the launch menu.

Do you have OpenAL installed on your system? Look in your Programs list in your control panel. If you see any OpenAL drivers there, remove them. Then try to launch the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

No,I don't have openal.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Extract the .cfg file in this zip into your Book 2 Saved Games folder and try running it again.
Attachments
eb2cfg.zip
(225 Bytes) Downloaded 329 times
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Damn that didn't work either.Thanks for the help any ways everyone.I'm all out of ideas as to what the problem could be.eschalon book 1 ran fine,so what is the major difference of the start menu for this game?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

1unusedname wrote:Damn that didn't work either.Thanks for the help any ways everyone.I'm all out of ideas as to what the problem could be.eschalon book 1 ran fine,so what is the major difference of the start menu for this game?
The only other suggestion I could make would be to open up that .cfg file and change the renderer=2 to renderer=1 ... This switches the game from opengl to directx 9... but I dunno if the renderer actually kicks in at that point. THe audio is set to Null, so it shouldn't be loading audio, though it still searches for audio drivers. Maybe set it to audiodriver=FreeAudio ...?

The biggest difference between the two is the addition of the registration code screen... you'll have to excuse me if I don't give you one of those to try out... :mrgreen:
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

1unusedname wrote:If this is all down to a single driver that I need to change at the inconvenience of other programs I have installed,then this will unfortunately result in a lost sale.And that would be too bad because Book 1 was awesome and Book 2 looks awesomer :lol: I'm sure this problem will get sorted out,it's just the first day.Just so everyone knows,I have a Toshiba Qosmio x300,Core 2 duo processor,Nvidia 9700m gts,and a harmon/kardon built-in speakers with realtec sound drivers.Oh and Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
I have the exact same computer and it runs....no prob....did you go to the toshiba website and get all latest drivers?

So it is something you installed? maybe virus protector?
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Well nothing so far has worked.EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW remains a mystery.Guess I'll just have to wait for the next version,hopefully the problem is patched.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

1unusedname wrote:Well nothing so far has worked.EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW remains a mystery.Guess I'll just have to wait for the next version,hopefully the problem is patched.
It is something on your side man, like I said I have the exact same computer.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Well until someone can figure out what the EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW error is all about there is no way I can figure this out.Obviously the problem has to do with that error.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1unusedname wrote:Well until someone can figure out what the EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW error is all about there is no way I can figure this out.Obviously the problem has to do with that error.
That is a machine-level error. It's like a "Divide by zero" error on a calculator. It doesn't tell me anything useful, only that the CPU has encountered something that forced it to stop.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.