Game won't even launch!

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
smeghead
Initiate

Game won't even launch!

Post by smeghead »

Hi,

I've just bought the registration code for Book 2, and downloaded the game. Unfortunately after installing it and double clicking on the .exe, it won't even start!

I get the launcher window, but without any graphics inside, so I can't select screen res, windowed mode or anything!! It just stops responding.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and just in case you're wondering, book 1 works fine!! :(
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Game won't even launch!

Post by Drixx »

smeghead wrote:Hi,

I've just bought the registration code for Book 2, and downloaded the game. Unfortunately after installing it and double clicking on the .exe, it won't even start!

I get the launcher window, but without any graphics inside, so I can't select screen res, windowed mode or anything!! It just stops responding.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and just in case you're wondering, book 1 works fine!! :(
Try right click, "run as administrator"

If that doesn't work, right click and go to properties, compatibility mode, and tell it to run in Windows XP SP3 mode. Again, run as administrator as well. I'm on Windows 7 home premium 64-bit and works without a hitch.
smeghead
Initiate

Post by smeghead »

That was the very first thing I tried. Strangely, it works fine on my xp laptop. Could it be a driver problem? I'm using an Asus Xonar D2 sound card and ATI 4890 gfx card (driver 10.4) ?

I've just noticed, that if I don't force the program to close, after a minute or two it says "exception stack overflow"...

I uninstalled my graphics card driver, and lo and behold the launcher worked! - but only because there was no driver - I cannot play the game or have my computer permanently without a gfx driver!!

So it's some sort of conflict between the two, which narrows it down...
HOBORG
Initiate

Post by HOBORG »

Same problem here.
Just installed demo version, after double click on "book_2.exe" and wait for some time, game popup "EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW".

BTW, compatibility mode/run as admin doesnot help.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

I too have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit,and I cannot even play the demo.Launcher won't start,and if not terminated,a message saying EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW pops up.And then my laptop cries,because it cannot even run this awesome looking game :( It does run fine on my windows xp laptop,but that one's old and the screen is smaller.I WANNA PLAY ON MY NEW LAPTOP DARN IT!! :evil:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1unusedname wrote:I too have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit,and I cannot even play the demo.Launcher won't start,and if not terminated,a message saying EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW pops up.And then my laptop cries,because it cannot even run this awesome looking game :( It does run fine on my windows xp laptop,but that one's old and the screen is smaller.I WANNA PLAY ON MY NEW LAPTOP DARN IT!! :evil:
The game was actually developed primarily on a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate machine, so I know it runs well.

I would suggest the normal routine: update windows, check for sound and video driver updates.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
smeghead
Initiate

Post by smeghead »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I would suggest the normal routine: update windows, check for sound and video driver updates.
In my case, I've narrowed it down to a graphics card driver problem - I think - (see earlier post) but I'm running the latest version from AMD/ATI, so I'm at a bit of a loss really. :(
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

smeghead wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I would suggest the normal routine: update windows, check for sound and video driver updates.
In my case, I've narrowed it down to a graphics card driver problem - I think - (see earlier post) but I'm running the latest version from AMD/ATI, so I'm at a bit of a loss really. :(
I'm not on my Desktop atm so I don't remember exactly how to get to it in Win7, but there should be a video troubleshooting option that allows you to turn down the level of acceleration on the video card... I would try turning it down a couple of notches to see if that helps.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
1unusedname wrote:I too have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit,and I cannot even play the demo.Launcher won't start,and if not terminated,a message saying EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW pops up.And then my laptop cries,because it cannot even run this awesome looking game :( It does run fine on my windows xp laptop,but that one's old and the screen is smaller.I WANNA PLAY ON MY NEW LAPTOP DARN IT!! :evil:
The game was actually developed primarily on a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate machine, so I know it runs well.

I would suggest the normal routine: update windows, check for sound and video driver updates.
The old,"update video and sound drivers" solution is not the case here.All of my games,from dos to dragon age,work perfectly fine.In this case it has something to do with EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW,whatever that has to do with this game and windows 7.And just so you know my video and sound drivers are as up to date as they can be anyways.I hope that you can figure this out,because I will not buy this game if I cannot use it on my gaming laptop of choice.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

1unusedname wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:

The old,"update video and sound drivers" solution is not the case here.All of my games,from dos to dragon age,work perfectly fine.In this case it has something to do with EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW,whatever that has to do with this game and windows 7.And just so you know my video and sound drivers are as up to date as they can be anyways.I hope that you can figure this out,because I will not buy this game if I cannot use it on my gaming laptop of choice.
I am running it on windows 7 64....but I have an nvidia....it most likely is your ATI card...try what bernie said
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1unusedname wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:

So the game doesn't even launch....the first thing the game does other than initialize sound and video is to try and locate and setup the saved-game folders. On My Windows 7 machine, this is:

C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Basilisk Games\Book 2 Saved Games\

So, is there any reason why the game would be unable to write to this location?

Also, regarding ATI....I run an ATI Radeon HD 5850 in my Win7 machine. Again, never a single problem.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

I have an Nvidia card as well.I have no clue what the problem could be.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

I checked and the save game folder is in the place it should be.I run the launcher as admin so it should have full access to whatever it needs to do.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

1unusedname wrote: The old,"update video and sound drivers" solution is not the case here.All of my games,from dos to dragon age,work perfectly fine.
Sometimes updated drivers/bioses/firmware will only fix- or break- a single game/application... on a single type of configuration. When it comes to computers (especially Windows-based PC's), you should never assume anything.

In any case, where's your game installed? Did you install to the default directory, or a custom one?
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Yes I installed everything with defaults.