Bug and Error compendium

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Bug and Error compendium

Post by Drixx »

Hey Guys,

I tend to be a bit of a nit picker when it comes to games. I'm starting this thread to log any bug or errors that I come across, to help BW and the team get the last of them stomped.

Feel free to reply with any you find and I'll be glad to keep the post up to date.
------------------------

Text Errors:
  • During the prologue, in one of the bottom areas of text, the word "hoards" is used to describe a large mass of monsters. The word "hoard" refers more to a collection of something (a dragon's hoard for example). The word should be "hordes"
  • A little bit later there is a singular/plural agreement issue with the fall of Theramore and whether it is "a rumour" or "rumours" ... it was a singular event, therefore it should be a singular rumour ... or needs to be re-worded.
  • In the opening screen of the game, the words "You have awoke..." appear. This should be "You have awakened..." or "You have awoken..."
  • When purchasing "Zultan's guide to light armor materials" from a stack, the dialogue window has a spelling error "materialss" - Status - Unverified
Graphics Errors:
  • When sleeping in your own bed during a thunderstorm, the graphics will go away, but the sounds remain until you save and re-load the game. Status - Unverified
  • When starting an adventure, the player character gets stuck in the "Stand" phase of the animation, and when moving around just "slides" along the ground facing away from the player. Status - Cannot reproduce myself. Need more data
Mechanics Errors:
  • When throwing darts at a powder keg to detonate it, the final throw (which explodes the barrel) gives damage back to the player due to lack of unarmed proficiency. Verified - Scheduled for fix
  • When attempting to cast "Protection from Curse I" an error "ERROR casting protection from curse" is generated. Status - Unverified

Thanks for pitching in guys. Here's a key to what the status:

Unverified - I haven't personally verified the bug or issue
Verified - I have personally reproduced the bug or observed the error.
Resolved - The problem or bug has been resolved

It would be helpful if others could try and replicate the ones I haven't yet verified ... takes some doing to get a character set up in these situations to verify the issues.
Last edited by Drixx on May 12th, 2010, 6:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bocosteve82
Pledge

Re: Bug and Error compendium

Post by bocosteve82 »

i noticed, when sleeping in my bed during a heavy thunderstorm, that when i awoke, the weather visuals had passed, but the sound of the rain continued until i loaded my game (i saved after waking up, then loaded). i can't confirm whether this applies when camping as well, but just a small issue i noticed.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

when buying Zultan's Guide to light armor materials from a stack, the dialog box that asks how many do you want write materialss with 2 s instead of one
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
SpaceAce
Pledge

Post by SpaceAce »

I just rolled a character and started a new adventure, but my character is stuck in the "stand" position of his animation. Instead of showing a walk animation, he just slides around on the ground facing away from me.

SpaceAce
Henryu
Initiate

Post by Henryu »

When i tossed the last of my darts at a powder keg to detonate it, (didn't explode the first time, but came close) my character took a point of damage with the text stating that I was attacking an object without being skilled in unarmed combat.
markelphoenix
Pledge

Post by markelphoenix »

I don't know why, but everytime I try to cast protection from curse 1, I get an Error. Literally says ERROR casting Protection From Curse, when ever I try to cast it. Has anyone else experienced this?

(Sorry, posted separately then found this post, reposting bug here)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Henryu wrote:When i tossed the last of my darts at a powder keg to detonate it, (didn't explode the first time, but came close) my character took a point of damage with the text stating that I was attacking an object without being skilled in unarmed combat.
How close were you? It's best to be 3+ paces away, even if you have no skill in Throwing or unarmed combat. Unarmed combat should only have showed up if you hit it with a fist or computer thought you did as you were too close? Maybe someone more computer savey will answer. BW?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Dragonlady wrote:
Henryu wrote:When i tossed the last of my darts at a powder keg to detonate it, (didn't explode the first time, but came close) my character took a point of damage with the text stating that I was attacking an object without being skilled in unarmed combat.
How close were you? It's best to be 3+ paces away, even if you have no skill in Throwing or unarmed combat. Unarmed combat should only have showed up if you hit it with a fist or computer thought you did as you were too close? Maybe someone more computer savey will answer. BW?
CrazieBernie reported this and apparently it was overlooked.

The problem is once that last dart is thrown, you are essentially "unarmed" and the computer injures you for "bashing while unarmed". If you had at least one point in Unarmed Combat Skill then you wouldn't get hurt.

This will be fixed in the next version.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Edrïn
Apprentice

Post by Edrïn »

When fast travelling, the thirst and hunger evolve, but you get no hitpoints (and possibly mana, I'm playing a warrior) like you would if you walk. food being quite difficult to get in the begining, it makes the fast travel feature quite expensive when injured...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Edrïn wrote:When fast travelling, the thirst and hunger evolve, but you get no hitpoints (and possibly mana, I'm playing a warrior) like you would if you walk. food being quite difficult to get in the begining, it makes the fast travel feature quite expensive when injured...
The idea with fast travelling is that you're taking the shortest, fastest route to reach your destination... with little or no rest. You still need to eat/drink to keep your energy levels up, but you don't have down time to heal or regen mana.

It's an optional rule, so there needs to be some sort of tradeoff for the bonus to the end score.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Soulpiercer arrow has no effect on Dwarven Spirit. I get an error message that the weapon or magical enhancement must have bonus damage. This arrow has +3 so I think it should be able to hurt the spirit.
Edrïn
Apprentice

Post by Edrïn »

I've just got another one, but difficult to reproduce : I was battling (with a sword) with two dark molds when the one I was not hiting stopped to fire. After I killed the other one, I was not able to attack it.
There were trees all around us, so it looked like the program thought there was no line of sight. Except that the mold stopped firing without me or it having moved since the last shot. After that, I moved closer, but I could not attack it, even from an adjacent square. I did not check it, but I think I had no message like "target is obscured" or whatever when trying to attack it. The mouse cursor changed to the attack when overing the mold and the usual trees' transparency thing worked, though.
I noticed there was a outlander near this skirmish, over the river, that could not reach us. Perhaps it was linked to that bug ?
After some tries, I got near the river, I could not see the outlander any more, (no way to cross the river, anyway). Then the mold went back to life and attacked like nothing had happened. I had no crash or anything after that.
Lestrade
Pledge

Post by Lestrade »

Whenever I map an area with with Reveal Map Spell and come back later without this spell running the map get's redrawn with the much lower skill I have at that time. Is this intentional?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Lestrade wrote:Whenever I map an area with with Reveal Map Spell and come back later without this spell running the map get's redrawn with the much lower skill I have at that time. Is this intentional?
It's not so much intentional as it is an engine limitation. But you did drink a memory erasing potion back before Book I, so it's only natural you forget things if you don't keep training them. :wink:
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

Lestrade wrote:Whenever I map an area with with Reveal Map Spell and come back later without this spell running the map get's redrawn with the much lower skill I have at that time. Is this intentional?
This is intentional.

Also, I will be combing the forum tomorrow while my wife is at work and adding all of the various posted bugs and such into the thread here. I'm also going send a PM to BasiliskWrangler after I do so and see if he wants to sticky it so there's a place for folks to look to see if their issue has already been reported.

Additionally, if everyone finds the thread useful, I can add in links to solution posts for various issues as well.