All maps reset bug!

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
shuster
Pledge

All maps reset bug!

Post by shuster »

I was playing in full screen mode and Alt/tab'ed out without saving when I was needed elsewhere. I came back the next day and forgot I had Eschalon open already, and opened a new instance of it and loaded the most recent save. I realized this was wrong and alt/tab'ed... it switched to the other Eschalon. I alt/tab'ed again, it returned to the new one, I quit without saving. Now I returned to the old game and played for a while, quick traveled to Port Kuudad, and suddenly noticed that my map was gone and the city had reset itself completely. All chests had new loot, old items I'd stashed there were gone...
atori
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: All maps reset bug!

Post by atori »

Eschalon 2 stores temporary files here: "c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Basilisk Games\Book 2 Saved Games\tmp\". Whenever you leave some map game will automatically save previous map into this temporary folder. I assume when game is being saved all files from tmp are copied into some slot + changed to current map. So in your case situation might be next: you had 2 game instances opened. Both of them used tmp folder. You walked a little, maybe left some map, so one instance made some changes into tmp files even if you didn't save game. Also possible that one instance locked tmp folder, so 2nd instance couldn't use it at all. Usually game deletes games slot, if it is locked, even if it is tmp. I lost some my save games, when kept "Book 2 Saved Games" folder opened in my file manager. Anyways, I think game was not designed for launch it in some instances, so you can expect a variety of bugs if you try to launch 2 copies. From other side it would be reasonable to prevent 2nd instance launch in game's code. It's easy to implement.