Access Violation

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
NihilVerum
Pledge

Access Violation

Post by NihilVerum »

Cannot play this game. Get access violation error no matter what renderer I use or if its in windowed or fullscreen. As soon as I try to talk to 1st person in bulding with the bulls-eye target outside at start of game after killing rat, I get the access violation error.

Using Win 7 x64 4 gig ram and GTX 275

Tried with Dx7, Dx9, and OpenGL and all the dif audio renderers. Nothing works...
Even tried using "run as admin" and run in various win xp modes.
Right now thinking this is a waste of my money...

Any help?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Access Violation

Post by CrazyBernie »

What version are you playing?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

^^ What CrazyBernie said. ^^

Look in this forum, sticked at the top, is a link to the beta version of 1.03. Try this if you are running anything earlier. A number of pesky bugs have been fixed up in it.

Let us know how it turns out.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Saiko Kila
Pledge

Post by Saiko Kila »

I do have the same problem, with Book II I purchased yesterday on Impulse, which is version 1.02. The Access Violation pops up whenever I try to open character sheet window, or all windows together (by "x") but all the other windows seem to work when opened individually. I downloaded and installed Beta (1.03), and ran it in demo mode (because Impulse registration code doesn't work with it) and there's still no joy.

I've got Vista x64 with GTX260. There is no crash report in Windows Problem Reports and Solutions tool, so I cannot provide any specific info... Besides my more detailed config, if that helps.

BTW my Book I (Steam version) works without problems.
NihilVerum
Pledge

Post by NihilVerum »

Sorry, forgot to say what version. I purchased this from impulse and its ver 1.02.

I tried to use ver 1.03 but cannot register it using impulse reg code (same problems as Saiko Kila) Still get the access violation error in demo mode.

Its unplayable.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Does everyone with this problem have the Impulse version?
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Sounds like they might be running into the bug with preset characters. Are you guys using F1...F5 to create a character? If so, try creating your own character instead and see if that works.
NihilVerum
Pledge

Post by NihilVerum »

Buckets wrote:Sounds like they might be running into the bug with preset characters. Are you guys using F1...F5 to create a character? If so, try creating your own character instead and see if that works.
Yep, just came here to submit this as a bug. I get the access violation error ONLY when I use the "F" keys when creating a char. If I create a char myself, as Buckets has stated: The access violation errors go away. This includes the pressing "x" to open all windows and char dialogues.

Would submitting a save game from a premade and a self created char help?
Saiko Kila
Pledge

Post by Saiko Kila »

Buckets wrote:Sounds like they might be running into the bug with preset characters. Are you guys using F1...F5 to create a character? If so, try creating your own character instead and see if that works.
Yes. I was just going to post that. I created three characters on my own, and three "quick" characters via F2 or F4 (I assumed that creates the best possible character :) ). Only these three pre-created characters crash the game, while the three custom crafted guys/gals seem to work just fine! Also, the problem is present with clean installed Beta 1.03.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Ah ha! I just got it too!

:)

Now that I can replicate it, I can fix it!

(So much for that version 1.03 being "final". :roll: I'll make sure this fix gets in 1.03 for Wednesday).