translation issues

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Wester Egg
Initiate

translation issues

Post by Wester Egg »

Hi. I'm working on translation of Book2 into Russian. I think I'm doing fine, but there is one technical problem I don't like at all.

I was testing if cyrillic text can be properly displayed in the game, so I did some tests and here is what I have found. While all "static" text (in books, notes and within the information text area) is being properly displayed, there is a problem with NPC conversation dialog texts. When I somehow change the text within files like "darus.txt" (and I change conversation text only), the game does not work as it should. I don't even use cyrilic now. I just add or remove a word or two from a conversation lines (in the middle of the sentences to make sure I don't delete some important symbols such as EOL), and the game reacts like this:

1. NPC does not respond to mouse clicks at all, the conversation does not start
2. Conversation starts, but the lines I have changed are missing
3. The game crashes when I mouse click on NPC in order to start conversation.

I am a little worried about all this, since I don't want to do all this work only to find later that it is impossible to implement russian text into the game.

Can please someone tell me this is a solvable matter and I don't need to worry about this?
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: translation issues

Post by CycyX »

Quick one: have you contacted BW in order to ask hilm for help to translate this game into Russian?

If you look at other thread in this board, you'll see that BW doesn't want anyone to "hack" in a translation but work with him.

So basically, ask him for help directly, not the average user...

Edit: added link to original comment from BW
Wester Egg
Initiate

Post by Wester Egg »

CycyX wrote:Quick one: have you contacted BW in order to ask hilm for help to translate this game into Russian?

If you look at other threads in this board, you'll see that BW doesn't want anyone to "hack" in a translation but work with him.

Yes, I wrote BW yesterday, but he didn't answer yet.

I know he don't like people hacking his game. But I don't hack into exe file, I only repack the datafile, and only because it must be done in any case, now or later.

I wrote this in hope that someone knowing would answer, not just an ordinary user. And since BW didn't answer me personally yet, I thought maybe he will see this topic and answer me here.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Wester Egg wrote:
CycyX wrote:Quick one: have you contacted BW in order to ask hilm for help to translate this game into Russian?

If you look at other threads in this board, you'll see that BW doesn't want anyone to "hack" in a translation but work with him.

Yes, I wrote BW yesterday, but he didn't answer yet.

I know he don't like people hacking his game. But I don't hack into exe file, I only repack the datafile, and only because it must be done in any case, now or later.

I wrote this in hope that someone knowing would answer, not just an ordinary user. And since BW didn't answer me personally yet, I thought maybe he will see this topic and answer me here.
Be patient, he has a lot on his plate at the moment, not to mention here in the states it's a big holiday. Probably having quality time with his family.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Wester Egg
Initiate

Post by Wester Egg »

Be patient, he has a lot on his plate at the moment, not to mention here in the states it's a big holiday. Probably having quality time with his family.
Well, I'm being patient )

Also, BW has answered to me already, so I think that the issue is solved and there is not much to worry about.

Thank you, and have a good holiday )