Bugged Challenge: The True Healer (SPOILER!)

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Bugged Challenge: The True Healer (SPOILER!)

Post by Oshkell »

Regarding the confrontation with Sparrow in Broken Blade, after completing the quest/dialogue that ends with her saying "go peacefully into the void," and attacking, she clearly shows up as hostile - without my having provoked her. (as in committing a crime, attacking first, etc.) Once I killed her, it received a message that I had failed the challenge "The True Healer," citing the possible reasons why. I'm assuming the game may have somehow had her still flagged as friendly? (Even though she certainly was showing up as hostile at the time.)

Since there is no pickpocketing skill that I'm aware of, I assume you must kill her to get the key, no? It just doesn't seem to me that killing Sparrow in such a manner should cause the challenge to fail.

For the record, I was using a female ranger, and nothing but Warmoth and normal arrows. I did use my Extreme Focus ability one time during the battle. I attempted to attach the save game file, but it said the file was too big. I don't know if I'm doing this wrong by trying to put it in a compressed folder. Any help would be appreciated.
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Bugged Challenge: The True Healer (SPOILER!)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

This was discussed in another thread. You can Charm Sparrow to stop attacking you and pick the lock (given time and a lot of picks, or the lock melt spell) to enter the mines. BW explained the reasoning about Sparrow in that other thread, in the main Book II forum, I believe.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Oshkell »

Ah. I searched up that thread. I see where BW explained it. It seems... odd... but at least I know it's not actually a bug. Thank you for the help.

I'm beginning to see that one was never meant to successfully complete ALL of the challenges in one playthrough. Heh. Silly me. :P
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:This was discussed in another thread. You can Charm Sparrow to stop attacking you and pick the lock (given time and a lot of picks, or the lock melt spell) to enter the mines. BW explained the reasoning about Sparrow in that other thread, in the main Book II forum, I believe.
Just so we're clear, this issue was discussed specifically in this thread (probably starting here).

(And, FTR, I'm also in the camp that thinks that killing Sparrow after she attacks you should not fail the 'True Healer' Challenge - you don't do anything, commit no crime, nothin', and then Sparrow attacks you! I don't think you should fail the Challenge after that, especially with the Julian and lycanthrope exceptions already in there. With Wendy, I can sort of see why having to attack her, after you stole her brother's book, would fail the True Healer Challenge for you. But, Sparrow?! - I'm not seein' it...)
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Oshkell »

I'm just grateful that they have an option to tell her, "I kill sow like you for fun." I am so going to say that to her next playthrough. >:)
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

<rant mode>
This challenge is ridiculous.

I wonder why anyone would bother. After all the trouble leaving Sparrow alive, I failed the rotten thing because a devilmander committed suicide after being charmed.

I would have reloaded except for discovering it after getting out of the mine and walking a third time through the whole non-portal area is tedious and no fun gameplay.

I know the manders killing themselves has probably something to do with tail-biting, but BW's opinions on what is a healer is are somewhat...odd...

Maybe he hates hospitals?

</rant mode>