Dexterity doesn't improve hide in shadows

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Dexterity doesn't improve hide in shadows

Post by Farwalker »

I decided to test something new in the game and picked hide in shadows.
In a controlled test I found that I couldn't get the equivalent benefit of even one extra skill point in hide in shadows with a +21 Dexterity increase...

The skill description says it's complemented by dexterity, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Tested in 1.04a Beta
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Dexterity doesn't improve hide in shadows

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:I decided to test something new in the game and picked hide in shadows.
In a controlled test I found that I couldn't get the equivalent benefit of even one extra skill point in hide in shadows with a +21 Dexterity increase...

The skill description says it's complemented by dexterity, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Tested in 1.04a Beta
FWIW, I don't think Hide In Shadows should be complemented by any attribute (incl. Dexterity).
(It sort of doesn't make sense to me how Dexterity would actually help Hide In Shadows anyway...)

So I think I'd actually prefer if BW just removed that from The Player's Manual, rather than trying to add a mechanism for Hide in Shadows being complemented by Dexterity.

Just one fan's opinion on the matter... :wink:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Farwalker wrote:I decided to test something new in the game and picked hide in shadows.

Tested in 1.04a Beta
Did you have at least one skill point in HiS before testing this?
FWIW, I don't think Hide In Shadows should be complemented by any attribute (incl. Dexterity).
(It sort of doesn't make sense to me how Dexterity would actually help Hide In Shadows anyway...)

So I think I'd actually prefer if BW just removed that from The Player's Manual, rather than trying to add a mechanism for Hide in Shadows being complemented by Dexterity.

Just one fan's opinion on the matter...
Well, it may end up going that way.

There is a huge, long discussion I could have on the history of the Eschalon RPG system and how it ended up as it is now. Many ambitious ideas we had 6 years ago (such as each Skill having 2 supporting Attributes to modify it) have had to be altered to fit the evolution of the game during development.

So we are at a place where the system is really good for the most part, but there are exploits and limitations that makes it hard for us to grow much beyond where it's at now. We are going to push it as far as it can go for Book 3, and then the system will be retired. When it comes to HiS + Dexterity, we've had to neuter HiS so much because of overpower issues with Book 1 & 2 that it may no longer make sense to even count DEX towards it's function.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Did you have at least one skill point in HiS before testing this?
Yep, sure did.
BasiliskWrangler wrote: Well, it may end up going that way.
Either way sounds fine to me, I just thought I'd point it out as a loose end to wrap up. And if a quick edit to the skill description leaves more time to improve other more meaningful parts of the game... well you can guess where my vote would be. :wink:
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Dexterity helps with so many things already that I would rather try to take it out of certain things. Yes, I rather saw the manual changed.
And Hide in Shadows is strong enough as it is.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Done.

Version 1.04b will not have any DEX improvements to HiS, which shouldn't affect anyone's gameplay since it appears it is not working as intended anyways.

Already there is a lot of mathematics going on under the hood when it comes to HiS- checking luminosities of tiles, number and size of objects surrounding player, environmental factors, enemy's vision ability...as I said, the affects of DEX have been so reduced that eliminating that from the manual is probably better than forcing it to work like we originally intended.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
bkrueger
Apprentice

Post by bkrueger »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Already there is a lot of mathematics going on under the hood when it comes to HiS- checking luminosities of tiles, ...
When I saw this I remembered another post of yours where you said, you still didn't figure out, why cat's eye seems to bread HiS sometimes.

Probably this is too simple, but it comes to mind, when reading this:

To visualise the effect of cat's eye, the surrounding area is illuminated. However, this illumination is not "real", but only in the mind of the character. So it should not go into the HiS calculation...

I know this is a shot in the dark and you probably would have found it long ago, if it was so easy, but still... :?: