No way to tell how impacted armor is by damage/degridation

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
XRsyst
Initiate

No way to tell how impacted armor is by damage/degridation

Post by XRsyst »

Windows 7 64bit, EB2 1.03

Maybe this is mentioned in the manual, but like I've said in other posts I figured (wrongly) I knew what I was doing since I played EB1 a lot.

I didn't realize until about an hour from finishing the game that armor efficacy was impacted by its current quality. This could easily be rectified if on the item display next to its "quality" to currently display its current armor.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: No way to tell how impacted armor is by damage/degridati

Post by Randomizer »

You do see a lower value for base armor in the stats window as armor gets damaged. If it falls low enough you will see the number change color.

Same for weapons.
XRsyst
Initiate

Post by XRsyst »

Yeah, looking at the stats sheet was when I first realized something was different than I was expecting. Having played other games with armor durability things were either "fine" or "broken", not a gradient in between, I assumed that's how this game worked and that the item quality just represented how long until that item would break. I still stand by my statement that there's nothing on the equipment screen to indicate that a piece of eqipment is providing anything but full utility.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

XRsyst wrote:I still stand by my statement that there's nothing on the equipment screen to indicate that a piece of eqipment is providing anything but full utility.
But you said that you had noticed that the state of the material was mentioned, and that you now realize the impact on your armour rating.
Your armour rating is dependant on quite a few things; at least your speed (the attribute) is included, there are spells like leather skin as well; all these things have an impact. I don't think you can expect a calculation when you open up your spellbook of how a spell would impact your armour rating, or a calculation when you open up your character screen that shows how your speed if affecting it, etc... There's just too much maths here, you wouldn't want it all on the screen.

Your final armour rating is still given on the character sheet. Best is to keep your eye on that.
XRsyst
Initiate

Post by XRsyst »

Right, I figured it out how it was working after 22 hours of game play, and for spells leather skin does +5 AC, it clearly states that. All I really want is for my dragon skin boots to say "7/9 AC" instead of "9" AC when they are damaged. That's all it would have taken to clue me in.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

XRsyst wrote:All I really want is for my dragon skin boots to say "7/9 AC" instead of "9" AC when they are damaged. That's all it would have taken to clue me in.
Now that you mention it, that would be a cool feature...
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Randomizer wrote:You do see a lower value for base armor in the stats window as armor gets damaged. If it falls low enough you will see the number change color.

Same for weapons.
But I don't regularly look at that stats window. So if I don't happen to open it or the equipped items screens at the right time I can be working with subpar equipment and perhaps even lose an item.

That's what I find really annoying about the degrading items option in this game as it is now. There is no warning indication as you play (without having to go into another menu to check on things). Having some kind of a warning indication of what your worst equipment condition is would make a huge difference... perhaps similar to the encumbrance status with multiple levels of warning.

Oooh a big red warning icon, maybe I should fix up my footware before quick travelling again. Maybe my fireproof dragonskin booties don't like all this walking around in lava. Who knew? :?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I've seen a "your [whatever] is severely damaged" warning for weapons. It's most noticeable when using one to bash something open, as nothing else is scrolling in the message window, but I certainly wouldn't be saddened by an "Item Wear Warning" box appearing in the window with the Encumbered and other information boxes. That would give you a clue to check your equipped items and see what you're in danger of losing.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.