Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by IJBall »

Finally, this falls into the "suggestion" category, rather than the "bug" category.

Right off the bat - currently, there's no separate recipe for the Potion of Restoration (at least, none that I've found, or that anyone else has reported on this forum!). This would be a really cool thing to stick into the Fathamurk expansion! - just put the recipe on a table somewhere in the dungeon! :mrgreen:

Anyway, here are the current prices for recipes:

Code: Select all

Recipes (current game prices): 
"Healer Johan's Guide for Healing"    15gp        recipe:  Healing Potion 
"Helpful Potions for Mages"           20gp        recipes: Mana Potion 
                                                           & Fortified Mana 
"Antitoxin Craft & Creation"          50gp        recipe:  Detox Serum 
"Curing Greater Ailments"             20gp        recipe:  Cure Ailments 
"Stumpy's Guide to Combustables"      30gp        recipe:  Demon Oil
"Secrets of the Sharpshooter"         20gp        recipe:  Keensight
"Eyes of the Direlynx"                20gp        recipes: Cat's Eyes 
                                                           & Predator Sight 
"Hasty Victories"                     20gp        recipe:  Haste 
"Breakfast of Champions"              20gp        recipes: Ogre Strength 
                                                           & Nimbleness
"Protection From Elements"            20gp        recipe:  Greater Protection
"Toughen Thy Skin"                    20gp        recipes: Leatherskin 
                                                           & Stoneskin
"Magickal Clouds"                     20gp        recipes: Charm Cloud 
                                                           & Toxic Aura 
I think a lot of these prices should be reset/reworked.

Firstly, any recipe that actually yields up two recipes should actually cost more (generally, they should cost about twice as much).

Secondly, I think the cost of the recipe for Detox Serum is inexplicably high.

So here's my suggested price scheme for the recipes:

Code: Select all

Recipes (suggested revised prices): 
"Healer Johan's Guide for Healing"    15gp        recipe:  Healing Potion 
"Helpful Potions for Mages"           30gp        recipes: Mana Potion 
                                                           & Fortified Mana 
"Antitoxin Craft & Creation"          25gp        recipe:  Detox Serum 
"Curing Greater Ailments"             25gp        recipe:  Cure Ailments 
"Stumpy's Guide to Combustables"      30gp        recipe:  Demon Oil
"Secrets of the Sharpshooter"         20gp        recipe:  Keensight
"Eyes of the Direlynx"                40gp        recipes: Cat's Eyes 
                                                           & Predator Sight 
"Hasty Victories"                     25gp        recipe:  Haste 
"Breakfast of Champions"              40gp        recipes: Ogre Strength 
                                                           & Nimbleness
"Protection From Elements"            20gp        recipe:  Greater Protection
"Toughen Thy Skin"                    40gp        recipes: Leatherskin 
                                                           & Stoneskin
"Magickal Clouds"                     50gp        recipes: Charm Cloud 
                                                           & Toxic Aura 
And I think that's it!
I haven't finished my 2nd Book II runthrough, but I doubt I'll find much else to report here!! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by IJBall on July 27th, 2010, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote:
IJBall wrote:
Farwalker wrote:Ok, I've been running around with my sneak fighting druid for quite a while now, and have come to this stunning realization...

Losing hide status when you hit the space bar to wait is even more annoying than I thought!

Adding my request to have this fixed to the 1.05 list.
I have a separate post on this issue coming up. But I want to finish off Hammerlorne before I report it.
OK, back to this issue...

I suspect that this may be a result of the changes Farwalker requested in Hide in Shadows (I blame Farwalker! I blame Farwalker!... just kidding! :P ).

Anyway, now, when Hide in Shadow status is "lost" after being seen, it does not come back!

I've tested this several times, esp. on the Grand Hall level of Hammerlorne. But, basically, this is what happens:
  1. With Hidden in Shadow and Silent status, sneak up on a Dwarf.
  2. Get close enough that the Dwarf sees me.
  3. Lose Hidden in Shadow status.
  4. Run away from Dwarf, and get away from him.
  5. Even after passing many turns, even after rounding a corner! Hidden in Shadow status will not come back! (So it can't be used on another, different Dwarf in a totally different part of the map even!)
So, yeah, there's an issue now that, once you lose Hidden status, it doesn't seem to come back. (It will if you go to a different "map", but it shouldn't take that much to get it back!!)

So something about the Hidden in Shadow status "reset" still needs to be reworked.
Hmmm... I had troubles exactly like that dodging dwarves in the tunnels before any of the recent changes, haven't tried again since. There is a weird little quirk I see sometimes in Hidden coming back (you lose it for one round, then get it back for one round, then lose it again after that...) but it doesn't sound related at first glance. Maybe I'll test a bit to see if I can find similar behavior.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Ok, there's some kind of problem with getting your hide status back, you're right about that...

I tested on some trolls first, hit a troll a few times then ran away... and it didn't take too long for my hidden status to show up again. Ok, no problem I thought.

Then I was getting rid of cursed zombies in Cape Sorrow and thought I'd try it there. Complete fail - I ran away, they gave up on me, I even camped for a while, but that Hidden status just would not come back.

In the meantime I'm force-resetting it with low level invisibility casts, but that's a high level character technique... this needs to work at lower levels when your only option may be to run, run away.

Can you pin this one down BW?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:And mentioning this issue again (has been mentioned before here, and elsewhere recently here):

The Disarm Traps "movie" that plays when trying to disarm a trap plays about three times slower on the Mac edition of Book II than it apparently does on the Windows (or Linux?) version(s) of Book II.

It's bad enough that it is pretty much a "bug".
Similarly, I've noticed lately that the "Pick Locks/lock tumbler" animation/movie has been playing about twice as slow in Book II as it did in Book I.

There's something funky going on with the Book II animations on the Mac here... :o
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:Ok, there's some kind of problem with getting your hide status back, you're right about that...

I tested on some trolls first, hit a troll a few times then ran away... and it didn't take too long for my hidden status to show up again. Ok, no problem I thought.

Then I was getting rid of cursed zombies in Cape Sorrow and thought I'd try it there. Complete fail - I ran away, they gave up on me, I even camped for a while, but that Hidden status just would not come back...

Can you pin this one down BW?
OK, this is interesting!

Dwarves mess up the Hide in Shadows "refresh" rate.

And zombies can mess up both the 'Feat' "refresh" rate and the Hide in Shadows "refresh" rate!

The thing that both of those mobs have in common is that they are slow moving (i.e. they move slower than your character - you can out-run them).

I wonder if the fact that both of these mobs are "slow movers" is factoring in to the problems they're generating with the 'Feat' and Hide in Shadows countdown/refresh rate.

Hmmmm....
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote: I wonder if the fact that both of these mobs are "slow movers" is factoring in to the problems they're generating with the 'Feat' and Hide in Shadows countdown/refresh rate.
Mire Trolls are also slow movers, and I was able to run away from them and have my hidden status come back.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Just reposting this information from the general thread:

Becka has the default male voice instead of the female one that (I suppose) she is meant to have.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

The Muffinator wrote:I have already reported this in the Linux forums, but as I pointed out there I don't know if it is a Linux-only issue.

2 possible bugs in 1.04 final
Bug #2 is a bit nastier, and unfortunately I don't have a screenshot, but I'll do my best to describe it. The root problem (I think) is that one of the Goliath Boreheads walked "off the map".
OK, I've now seen this issue once.

I was near the southern edge of the map and I critically injured a Devilmander in the Forsaken Coast - the Devilmander immediately ran away due South. I was handling other Devilmanders so didn't pursue, but I watched the guy go straight off the edge of the map! He did not come back!!

I don't know if this is considered a "feature", or a "bug", that critical injured mobs can "escape" you by going "off map", but I thought I'd mention it...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

There's something a little flaky about comparative item identification. I had collected a bunch of Auricflax, which my character can't recognize on his own so I'd had it identified in case I decided to sell it later. I kept it in a trunk in my house along with a lot of other reagents. I had picked up some more while camping and had decided that I was going to take my reagent stock with me to Picaroon, as I didn't want to have to keep running back and forth paying for boat rides on a regular basis. So I opened my chest and hit the Take All button...and the known Auricflax became unknown when it stacked with the new, unidentified Auricflax in my inventory.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Two relatively minor issues around Talushorn.

First, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but there's a corner grid outside Talushorn's walls that you can't step into (and it shows up as "blank" on the Minimap...):
Talushorn-ext-corner.jpg
Talushorn-ext-corner.jpg (159.76 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
Second, is that there is a graphical glitch that I've seen show up - sometimes, there is a black "hole" in the corner of some 'corner' grids. The one shown below is from deep within the 3rd Level of Talushorn, but I have seen this glitch elsewhere on other maps (e.g. I think I saw another 'glitch' like this in The Covent's Well dungeon map, or possibly in The Thieves' Arcadia...). Anyway, here's the Talushorn example:
Talushorn-corner-glitch.jpg
Talushorn-corner-glitch.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
Dunno if anything can be done about this 'glitch', but I thought I'd mention it...
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

IJball, the first one you mentioned turns up all over the place.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

I'd like to request some better quality quarterstaves in the game - I've never seen one better than Walnut, and at the higher level shops you only see war hammers and mauls, maybe the odd mace etc for bludgeon weapons.

It would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on, or at least higher quality material versions. Also, perhaps somewhere a quarterstaff that increases with your level when you find it? I'd love to see that.

Thanks
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

A request: When you've picked up the Crux of Fire there's nothing in your journal that tells you to take it back to Korren.
He probably told you, but there will generally be a lot of game time between setting out for the Crux of Fire and finally laying your hands on it, so a note to help your memory would help. It would be helpful if, on picking up the Crux, a message in your journal would appear, saying something like 'You've successfully acquired the Crux of Fire. Korren has asked you to take it back to him as part of the final contingency plan.'
When you do return with the Crux to him there is an experience award, so also this makes a quest note in the journal logical.
IJBall wrote:Like someone else (and I can't remember who it was), I was able to get it to "snow" in Raven's Gate (East) by quick-traveling from Durnore. Now, I don't know if it's supposed to snow in Raven's Gate (East) or not (I don't think it is).
At least that's not unnatural if it's happening outside, but I've had it inside Raven's Gate, which is more odd. I believe that was after quick travel as well.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

One request which I'm not sure I've seen mentioned: I'd love to have keyboard shortcuts for changing the attack mode (normal/power/finesse/parry). Ideally this'd be four separate keys, not just a toggle switch.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:One request which I'm not sure I've seen mentioned: I'd love to have keyboard shortcuts for changing the attack mode (normal/power/finesse/parry). Ideally this'd be four separate keys, not just a toggle switch.
Oh, it has been! ;)

Shortcut keys for Weapons/Armor sets, Combat Modes, and Alchemy mixer have all been suggested. But I'm personally not expecting to see those until Book III...

Re: The Combat Mode hotkey, I don't think four separate keys is practical - it would likely have to be just one toggle key, though it would be cool if the toggle key was directional: e.g. just the key toggles one direction through the Combat Modes list, but CTRL-key toggles through the Combat Modes list in the opposite direction...